Installed McGaughy's 2/3 and have issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
When does the clank clank happen? I had that too, turned out to be a loose extender.

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also check if your hitting on the rear sway bar. I had to use the djm rear hardware kit to move the sway bar over to the right so it wouldn't clank anymore when hitting bumps.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a squeek in the front to. Got better when I pressure washed the front suspension components. I'm thinking my links may be too tight. I'm gonna cut some down shorter so I will know for sure soon.

gmunee23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
your sensors popped off. IN rear if you DO NOT remove the lines from frame and put springs in 2 things can happen. 1 the sensor plug pops out or 2 you broke the line in rear and thats why the lights popped up.

You were right, I had a connection unplugged on the top side of the frame, thanks for your help.

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your sensors popped off. IN rear if you DO NOT remove the lines from frame and put springs in 2 things can happen. 1 the sensor plug pops out or 2 you broke the line in rear and thats why the lights popped up.

I just installed my 2/3 kit yesterday and I DID NOT remove the lines from the frame. All I did was unbolt the lower shock mounts and drop the rear to install the new springs. Are you suggesting that's why I'm getting the traction control light coming on around slow speed sharp turns or do you mean that's why he got all the lights to pop up immediately after lowering his rear end?

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure he is referring to why the lights came on after lowering the rear.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
sorry yes if lights come on someone didnt pop off both lines off frame in rear and let those sensors get yanked on.

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure he is referring to why the lights came on after lowering the rear.

Gotcha. That's what I thought, but wasn't positive. I'm still curious as to whether or not I should've unbolted the brake lines, or not. Hopefully I didn't bend them by not doing this.

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

sorry yes if lights come on someone didnt pop off both lines off frame in rear and let those sensors get yanked on.

You mean for all of us? I'm one of the ones with an '07 truck. The ones that seem to be having the most trouble with this problem.

Rpav

Reaction score
Another to the list. 07 denali, mcgaughys spindles. Brake pulsates and traction light briefly comes on when turning left in driveway. Didn't do it before the drop

saltlakecitytahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes add yet another to the list

07 Tahoe LTZ 70k miles, 2/3 drop (installed at 55k miles), factory rear air ride, 4x4, stock wheels and tires.
Ive been a mechanic for over 15 years and have owned my own shop specializing in aftermarket and performance custom work for over 10 years. I say this only to relay the fact that I am somewhat experienced and have had to troubleshoot many many issues like this when installing aftermarket parts or modding factory ones so before I would take the time to post about something or start asking people for help, I exhaust every possible solution and check every possible cause of the problem myself to make sure I haven't made a mistake while installing the part and always double check my work. That being said, I have the same described issue on my 07 Tahoe after installing the Mcgaughys 2/3 drop spindle kit as many others have made mention of. At slow speeds while turning or turning and applying the brakes the ABS will activate briefly and only when performing left hand turns. I noticed this issue the very first time i drove the truck after the install when i picked it up from the alignment shop and it has continued ever since. Ive since had the alignment checked again to confirm that it was not the issue. I will also note that the truck had brand new stock size Michelin tires at the time of install (a little over a year and 15k miles ago) as I know uneven tire wear or different tire sizes can cause that symptom. I, like many others chose to live with the issue until recently when I noticed that the front right tire is wearing heavily on the outer edge so I decided to try to figure it out. After checking all of the factory suspension parts for any wear I turned to the spindles and noticed something that I can't believe I didn't catch sooner. The front right wheel sticks out a good 1/2-3/4" further than the front left and I remember when installing the spindles that one side seemed to be machined quite a bit off from the center line of the casting but trusted that even though the holes may not be centered in the casting, the geometry of the part would still be to spec and didn't think too much about it especially when the alignment shop said it aligned just fine. So what I mean about the machining being off is that the bosses in the casting where say the ball joint tapered holes are drilled, were not drilled in the center but way off near the edge of the boss. Its as if when they clamped or bolted the casting in the fixture for machining it was not centered or seated correctly although I'm starting to wonder since so many people have this same issue, that maybe the fixture itself is off or something is off in the machining process. The left side spindle was not that way just the right. I will try to take pictures of both sides showing the track width and the machining issue if i can see any evidence of it with the parts installed. If McGaughys does not have a proven fix for the issue I will be taking them off and I will definitely take pics at that time. It would be great if some other people could take a look and see if you show any of the signs I described and let me know.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 07:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 AM ----------

Most everyone Ive heard of with this issue only has the symptom with left hand turns. does anyone have the issue turning right or turning either way?

Do your front wheels have the same track spacing? I.E. do they stick out the same on both sides with the wheels pointed straight?

One other thing I found was that the e-brake cables looked very stretched. Its also possible that when turning sharply or turning and applying the brakes, it can cause the rear end to lift and exert even more pressure on the already stretched brake cables possibly causing the e-brake to slightly engage enough to slow one of the rear wheels and cause enough of a difference in wheel speed to activate the abs monitoring system and or traction control system. I need to take a reading of individual wheel speeds with the scan tool and duplicate the symptom and determine if its a front or rear wheel showing a different speed. Does anyone else appear to have overly stretched e-brake cables?

Last edited: