In need of a new SUV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunter991

Reaction score
I am new to this forum but have questions about a new Tahoe.

I currently own a 2010 Toyota Sequioa but i want to upgrade. I do tow boats and have a 5000lb ski boat that gets towed in the summer and snowmobiles in the winter. I am looking for a good reliable SUV. I haven't been keen on GM products but the new tahoe has really caught my eye. I also live in a state where winter brings us quite a bit of snow *Wisconsin). So 4x4 is essential.

My question is, is the Tahoe (2016 or new 2017) a good reliable vehicle. I am not that interested in a new sequioa due to its outdated gas mileage and styling. They haven't changed a thing in 7 years. I love the way the tahoe looks and it fits my needs. But i still worry if i am buying an SUV that will only last 100k miles before the thing falls apart. I have 100k on my sequioa now and haven't had a single problem with it since i bought it new in 2010. i have had a few chevy's in my life all of which were not very good vehicles.

Can anyone give me an honest opinion on the Chevy brand? Specifically the new tahoes. What the problems are, what i can expect if i buy one? I know this forum may be brand biased but looking for honest opinions.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Hunter991,

I'll give you my 2 cents, we have close friends who owned multiple generations of Sequoia, we have other friends who owned only tahoes over the years. I would say that both have been always good to them way passed 150k.
I researched for a long time all the current and potential issues with this gen of tahoes, mainly the noise/buffetting/vibration people are concern with, seems to affect some, some are totally normal.
We test drove about 10 used examples, all ex-rentals, and found a 15 suburban LT that did not have any of the issue. and that was on stock tires, which are getting pretty tired at 42k.

My past experience with chevy has been some terrible examples in the 90's and some truly forgettable rental in the last few years... This Suburban/tahoe is pretty much their bread and butter, and I can agree with other that they really do feel solid and express some sort of tank like feeling that stays with the years.

Not to say that they are better than a sequoia, I think they are basically a different flavor. One thing that you touch on, is the age of the design, which starts to show in term of tech/interior. and also the mileage.
driving back and forth to school drop off, we always get at least 3 mpg better than our friend with her 15 sequoia.

I would say in the end, forums are a great place to note some people experience, but if you have the time, nothing beats test driving a lot of things.

No matter what you end up with, hoping its something that would get you to pause and look back as you are leaving the garage, that's how I feel with mine.
Important stuff considering how large of an (depreciating ) investment a large traditional SUV is!

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you seek a care-free, reliable, durable full size SUV for the long haul, I have to say that you may be disappointed in the long run if you select a Tahoe over a Sequoia.

I enjoy my 2008 Tahoe but, frankly, part of the fun of ownership for me is figuring out and fixing the little and medium-sized issues here and there. I believe much of the build quality in 2015+ Tahoes is better than in my model year, but I can't believe it's on par with Toyota overall.

GM fans can flame me now.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you seek a care-free, reliable, durable full size SUV for the long haul, I have to say that you may be disappointed in the long run if you select a Tahoe over a Sequoia.

I enjoy my 2008 Tahoe but, frankly, part of the fun of ownership for me is figuring out and fixing the little and medium-sized issues here and there. I believe much of the build quality in 2015+ Tahoes is better than in my model year, but I can't believe it's on par with Toyota overall.

Sort of GM fan here, but I agree. I own and keep fixing a GM because it's what I know so I can.

GM fans can flame me now.

FYP
How about a little flame from a fan of education? :p

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my burb has been good to me. GM really stepped it up on the interior.

*test drive the snot out of whatever you look at. plenty have buffeting/vibration issue still.

i have been lucky w/ mine - no issues. i partially attribute that to diff wheel/tire pkg from stock.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sort of GM fan here, but I agree. I own and keep fixing a GM because it's what I know so I can.

FYP
How about a little flame from a fan of education? :p

Nicely done!!

Vinvin7716

Reaction score
Was in your position. Dad has a 2010 sequioa. No complaints 80k+ miles.

Only issue for me is the outdated outside/inside and gas mileage on the sequioa. This is me going from a '11 X5 diesel with 120k+ miles.

Test drove a few burbs and Tahoes. Needless to say I'm rocking a midnight Tahoe with a BB tune. It's awesome.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
BLack bear tune.....wakes up the motor for more performance thru the computer.

As opposed to years ago slapping an edelbrock intake/ holley carb / headers/ cam/ on the motor.

GM has been good to me my whole life and as @iamdub said i own them and fix them cuz thats what i grew up with......that being said my daily driver commuter car is an 08 honda accord with 300000 on it, i do 150 miles round trip a day 5 days a week, for the price and mileage i have on that car i dont think a chevy(read gm) would hold up.....especially the way i drive and the roads i drive on...

Last edited:

Pitterpat

Reaction score
I checked on Consumer Reports first. The 2012 model year was the last best year for a Yukon Denali. 2013 and up didn't get a very good rating for Chevy, GMC or Caddy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9