I'm So Sad - My Hatch Door Doesn't Open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therealcrazy8

Reaction score
Lately I have been having issues with my rear door. I try to list what has happened up to this point.
1. Door stopped opening using the handle and only opened with key fob - friend saw the button up front on the ceiling was pushed to "off". Not sure how. He turned it on, but still the same thing

2. The other day (maybe 3 days ago now), I kind of heard this very quite noise, over the radio (I have great hearing), and it kind of sounded like maybe it was the hydraulic trying to open the door, but I don't know that to be sure. I do know that each time I heard the noise, it was repeated every 7 seconds.

3. Then, last night, I'm getting ready to pile all of the kids into muh hoe and I tried to open the door from the key fob, before loading the kids, and I got nothing. I was only able to open the window.

Please give me some ideas on how I can fix this. It's amazing how big of a deal it is to have that door working. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Oh yeah, not sure if it matters, but the rear windshield wiper has stopped working as well. Not sure of the timing between that not working and the back door, but any help on that would also be greatly appreciated.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prob some loose or corroded connectors from the body to the hatch. When the hatch is up there is a rubber boot where the wires run from the body to the hatch. I would start by getting the hatch open, pulling the plastic interior trim pieces and having a look at al your wires/connections...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the hydraulic arm is just a assistant, there is a motor in the drivers side rear compartment just behind the drivers rear wheel (inside the truck where the jack storage is) you can see it inside when you remove the jack storage cover. that motor may be a culprit, have you tried to unlock it and then pull it open? or does it stay locked? if it is staying locked it could be the lock cylinder.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A hammer? Crowbar? C4? oh oh oh I know....wait, no I don't. :(

A Tech2. Wayne, this is the scan tool that can see and test just about everything for our trucks, it is what the dealerships use. It can read internal BCM codes and probably test your lift gate and see what's going on wiring wise. Mine is manual.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Therealcrazy8

Reaction score
the hydraulic arm is just a assistant, there is a motor in the drivers side rear compartment just behind the drivers rear wheel (inside the truck where the jack storage is) you can see it inside when you remove the jack storage cover. that motor may be a culprit, have you tried to unlock it and then pull it open? or does it stay locked? if it is staying locked it could be the lock cylinder.
Crap, to get to that I'll have to crawl back and remove the seats. Sounds like fun...lol But yes, the vehicle has been unlocked when I try to open that door (with and without fob) and it just stays locked. For the lock cylinder, I'm guessing that'll be actually inside the door.

OP
OP
T

Therealcrazy8

Reaction score
A Tech2. Wayne, this is the scan tool that can see and test just about everything for our trucks, it is what the dealerships use. It can read internal BCM codes and probably test your lift gate and see what's going on wiring wise. Mine is manual.
You know what? My friend just a few houses from me, runs his detailing business out of a shop. Just so happens the "shop guy" that he works with had a scanner that he let my friend borrow. I dont know if you have to do anything special to scan for issues like this, but he essentially hooked it up and found two error codes that had nothing to do with the door. With all of that said, I should be seeing my mechanic (for unrelated issues) next week, and he of course has a scanner as well, so I'll be sure that he take a look and see if anything comes up.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a function on the Tech2 and presumably other advanced scan tools that look for troubles through each module and report it on one screen. Then one can write everything down and go into each module individually for further diagnosis. My particular truck has the option for 29 modules but not all are installed as I don't have Side Blind Zone Alert, the smart Bose amplifier, etc.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem. The easy thing to check is if the hatch is closing completely. If it doesn’t the fob nor the console button will open it. One last dumb thing I found. If the button above your head isn’t returned to a neutral position only the handle will open it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz