Ignition and ECU tune questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
skyhighsami

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't talking about intake manifold. I was talking about air intake. The 4.3 guys I know swap to the marine intake. Could the Vortec 5.7 benefit from a similar benefits?

OP
OP
skyhighsami

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much power does marine intake give over the stock intake? Also would maybe the Edelbrock air gap Carb style intake with a 4150 style 4 barrel throttle body? Just brainstorming on how to get better power and economy. Also with a Carb intake and Accell 4 barrel TB how could you, and how hard would it be to tune?

OP
OP
skyhighsami

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone that sells a manifold that doesn't require all the mods? I have very little time and if this is a worthwhile mod then I would consider it. But from the brief reading I was able to do in that thread it looked pretty involved and required a lot more than I was expecting.

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

The question I was asking though wasn't about the intake manifold swap as much as a CAI swap. My last several trucks had intakes that were good enough from the factory so I didn't have to swap them. I am talking about with like a K&N intake or a similar style. When people have built the intakes for their trucks are they using just an elbow from the throttle body then some piping down to the area of the stuck location of the MAF and then attatch a filter at the end of that? Sorry if there are a great deal of threads about this topic but when I search I usually don't prove too productive and with work and the kids over the last several months I have been insanely busy. I have a M3 convertible that I am having repainted and seriously modded and I haven't be able to even check on it or go see the guy spraying the car for me. The guy spraying it for me is a great friend and extremely talented but like I said....work has been blowing up. Which I guess is good because no I can afford to modify a M3 convertible beyond what my wife ever expected and since I sold her lowered, painted, stereod, interior upgraded, sound deadened, big brakes, performance modded, every lightning upgraded, 22" riding Yukon XL (which I still miss) I guess it is ok.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
5600 RPM depending on how accurate the stock tach is. Factory programming has the trans shifting before then, not making any power that high with the stock cam anyways.
/
True but if you suddenly slip or break a gear the limiter just might save your engine.

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

Personally I have a k&n fipk And it was worth the $230

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone that sells a manifold that doesn't require all the mods? I have very little time and if this is a worthwhile mod then I would consider it. But from the brief reading I was able to do in that thread it looked pretty involved and required a lot more than I was expecting.

It doesn't get any more bolt on than that. Drilling/tapping a couple holes, soldering the wiring for the injectors and plumbing the fuel lines isn't difficult. Dollar spent vs HP gained isn't worth it on a stock engine IMO. CAI isn't worth it either. Factory design is sealed and the same as used on the 454.

True but if you suddenly slip or break a gear the limiter just might save your engine.

Thats a factory limit, it can be altered in the tune if you're scared and the extra $40 put in your pocket :)

OP
OP
skyhighsami

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Providing something ignorant doesn't happen I'm going to order a set of Stainless Works headers and off road pipe if the fit. I said I wouldn't buy anything SW again but they seem to be the best headers available for this chassis. Coated ******'s are 900 without an ORY. Some 1.6 roller rockers, MSD distributor, coil, ignition box, and have the exhaust built using the catback from the Duramax dually I used to have. I believe it's a 3 3/4" system so I'll need a mufflers that will work and keep drone at 0 and a simple rumble. Finally I'll get a new EGR gasket, throttle body and gasket where the intake tube connects to TB. Port and polish the TB myself, swap out the engine driven fan for electric and get the ECU tuned. I'm going to try and get a baseline dyno pull and a follow up after all the mods are done. Anyone have any before and after guesses? And economy improvements? Finally should I get a new fuel distribution block. Also muffler suggestions? I've had Really good luck with Corsa but I don't think they sell their mufflers separately

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10