Ignition and ECU tune questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
skyhighsami

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got in touch with someone at Doug Thorley. They discontinued making headers for our trucks. He suggested Gibson but the first hand experience I've had with their products has always been less than stellar

Where would you rank ****** versus Pacesetter? When you mentioned stainless I'm down for that but I doubt it would from Stainless Works. I have their headers and ORY for my Camaro and had to fix some stuff on the ORY. I guess I will look tonight

Last edited:

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
AW bummer, we sell Doug Thorleys now- would have been happy to help.

I personally would not buy Flexalites, just get some OEMs from the junk yard. 05+ Tahoes.

OP
OP
skyhighsami

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you sell the wiring to connect the fans? And if you can find someone better at DT to deal with than I could you might be able to find someone but I had to call I promise 6 times before I got someone. I will be getting with you to tune the truck hopefully in a couple days. I am trying to get everything together now as far as part numbers and exactly who I am ordering everything from. Since you would know, the factory ECU controls the rev limiter right? So I wouldn't need to get the MSD 6AL box that has a rev limiter built in would I? Or would the MSD 6A box be sufficient?

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We do have the harness: Black BEar E-Fan harnesses

Do you have the part number you are looking for? DT is hard to get a hold of, that is actually why we just became dealers. Their middle man (BNR Performance) just screwed us out of $700 on headers for the Blazer. DT asked if we wanted to become dealers after they heard of our run around.

The PCM does control the rev limiter (to an extent), but I need to double check on your year. Can you shoot me an email ([email protected]) to remind me to check into the specs?

OP
OP
skyhighsami

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And, Jenna when could you tune the ECU and have it shipped to me, how much would it be, would there be a core and how much is it? The truck is a 1996 Chevy Tahoe. I spoke with Nelson because I had forgotten about y'all and they said they would do it for $200. I have never had anything tuned by y'all before so I am willing to give it a shot

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[/COLOR]I use the rev limiter one because I believe the pcm in 1996 does not have a rev limiter just vehicle speed limiter.

5600 RPM depending on how accurate the stock tach is. Factory programming has the trans shifting before then, not making any power that high with the stock cam anyways.

How much power and economy do you think all that would gain me?
My experience is zero and zero, or so small I can't feel it. If it makes a difference it's because one of the components is worn out. Money is better spent on a cam instead of the MSD box, harness, distributor and coil.

I run the ****** 2462's-1 5/8" primaries, 2 1/2" collector.
****** has the 2806 w 1 3/4" primaries and a 3" collector.
Headman, Pacesetter, Stainless Works are other brands with longtubes that will work. Pacesetters are the only ones with EGR provisions and the Stainless Works primaries are too big for a stockish engine IMO.

OP
OP
skyhighsami

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome input. Since I live in Alabama I have no emissions testing so any and all emissions garbage will be removed. I wasn't going to replace the intake because on the newer style trucks I have had the stock intake was really good. Is that the case on this body style truck? This is my second one of these Tahoes but the first one I owned when I was much younger and I threw parts at it for the sake of modding it. I even spent money as I am sure that everyone on here has at one point or another on a throttle body spacer.

I don't remember if I asked it in here or not but since I have the catback exhaust from my Duramax dually I had I was thinking about using it to have the exhaust from the Y pipe built on this Tahoe. It is 3 1/2" or 3 3/4" in diameter which if I am correct would be equal to me running a set of dual 2 1/2" pipes which would be my plan B. However since I have this and it can be cut up and welded together I have a mandrel bent catback. Will it be too much for a 350 now and perhaps a 383 later when this motor goes boom? Again I don't remember asking it in this thread if so I am sorry. I have been working like a rented mule.

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the intake manifold you be the judge, it's not designed for performance with all that stuff under the plenum.

PC060019.jpg

Pics in this thread of the 1/2 ton exhaust like our SUVs have vs the 3/4 ton trucks, same 5.7 engine. Single 3.5" would be fine IMO. I run dual 2.5" (not mandrel bent though) which is almost the same if you calculate the area of the pipe.

http://duramaximizer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89951&sid=d144acc124b325a28113d4abaa28d3f6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts