I want to smoke tires W/24'S

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how is swapping a motor less work then slapping heads and a cam in. What kind of power does the 6.0 have stock???

simply unhook all connectors from motor, and lines from fuel and power steering, coolent etc..unbolt it from the trans and unbolt the motor mounts, pull it and then put the new one in and clip everything back together..3-4 hour job..pullin heads, dealing with gaskets, lifters etc is more time consuming..from what ive read there isnt much that needs to be done with the heads, and from what i was told that with a cam and headers id be just over a stock 6.0..so a 6.0 with just a BB tune would be equal...then it leaves you with more potential to cam it where with the 5.3 you are at your limit without going forced

DallasD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are an experienced mechanic at a shop with a lift and all the air tools you could imagine it will take 2-3 hours just to pull the motor. Not as easy as you may think it is. I have done a motor swap in a shop that I was working at on my old car and it took me and the mechanic with 20+ years and all the tool we could ever need about 7 hours to do the whole swap they don't go in as fast as they come out.

A fully ported head will get me more than 325 hp. Also replacing your cam is not a hard job if you know what you are doing. A heads, cam, exhaust package will get you over 400hp. Plus arent the performance mods for the 6.0 more money?

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
The 6.0 and 5.3 share the same aftermarket parts, he's going with the best possible option for the money he has and it leaves a world of potential once he's ready to start modding the internals of the 6.0. I can't see the engine swap taking much more than 6 hours which is far less involved than the cam/spring swap for an individual in his position.

OP
OP
Travieso

Travieso

Boooooooost !
Reaction score
very good input guys, I have a few questions How hard would it be to put a cam in my 5.3 and what type of cam would i need, Would i need to upgrade fuel pump, water pump heads Etc ? Basically i want to prep my motor ready for a super charger, so in the mean time i think my next mod would be a CAI, I've been reading about a CAI going for about 70 bucks around here Anyone has a link on that ? So i could check it out, Second Anyone has a link to headers that would actually fit my Tahoe ? Third What's this bbtune i keep hearing about how do i injure about it ? What are the advantages of this (bbtune) vs a Programmer I appreciate everyone's input,

Chevy Needs to make a SS Tahoe........ I was originally going to pick a 2006 Trailblazer SS at the time but didn't like it cause it was to small imo...

Ducati18

Reaction score
I have 2005 GMC yukon with 22'S and a magna-charger. It will smoke the tires. Everything elsa is stock.

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
I've seen some kids that throw crap like tire shine on the tread and sit in a small puddle of tire shine just to get it going. Might be how these stockers are doing it.

When I was 16 I used to use bleach. Much cheaper and worked like a charm. Hell I still do that.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
very good input guys, I have a few questions How hard would it be to put a cam in my 5.3 and what type of cam would i need, Would i need to upgrade fuel pump, water pump heads Etc ? Basically i want to prep my motor ready for a super charger, so in the mean time i think my next mod would be a CAI, I've been reading about a CAI going for about 70 bucks around here Anyone has a link on that ? So i could check it out, Second Anyone has a link to headers that would actually fit my Tahoe ? Third What's this bbtune i keep hearing about how do i injure about it ? What are the advantages of this (bbtune) vs a Programmer I appreciate everyone's input,
look off to right, see Blackbear under vendors, click that.

cam, about 6 hour swap. You need cam, new springs, gaskets,etc.
Search AEM Brute Force CAI.
Headers, search Lpparts or Pacesetter. LPP is by far less expensive and fit great.
Tune, by FAR is best mod I have done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia