i want boost...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJTricky

Banned
Reaction score
:signs6: so i am torn in the choice of forced induction

i love the sound of a turbo spooling and blowing off.

i also love the wine of a supercharger.

now my question is what one is better? supercharger or turbo.

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
Definatly super charger. And do a roots or tvs9000. A turbo in these big mofo would be deadly. The super charger will give you some good low end grunt. You can do both though. I think if your not going to do both you should super charge. Turbos are for the light european cars.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like forced induction of any kind. The turbo without a doubt will make more power than a supercharger, because to does not have to rob power from the crankshaft to compress the air.

That being said, there is the issue of “turbo lag”. There are several remedies for that as well. Some manufacturers use two different size turbo’s. A small turbo that spool’s quickly giving the initial boost and a larger turbo that takes more time to spool, but has the high end volume.

Some have used a short burst of Nitrous, in the exhaust manifold, to give the turbo a burst of heat, which it needs to spool quickly.

The other fact about turbo’s is that when you are just cruising, they do nothing. You can be doing 75 on the highway and the turbo’s do nothing because they only respond to heat. It is the expansion of the heat during aggressive throttle use that excites the turbo’s.

I have a T-trim Vortech on my Camaro. It is fantastic except for one issue. While cruising at 75 mph on the highway, it has 5 lbs of boost outside the throttle plates with 14 inches of vacuum inside. The blow off valve is not large enough. It is the “large mouth” blow off, but I will have to add a second blow off valve to try to get rid of the boost when not needed. Kind of eats into the fuel economy when you are compressing air for no reason.

I would guess that under WOT and 15 psi of boost, that the supercharger is eating close to 100 hp itself. That is power that would be going to the wheels if it were a Turbo………….

To me, the issue is space. If you have room for a turbo or turbo’s, the only question is money…….. I would have a turbo on the Camaro, except I am not willing to butcher the body to make room for it. :)

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty Much Del said it all.

FYI: You can have a BOV and a FMIC with a VORTECH style S/C but not with a whipple.

Turbo>S/C all day everyday.

See HP Drag cars using Turbo set ups like twins or 76mm and up.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I like forced induction of any kind. The turbo without a doubt will make more power than a supercharger, because to does not have to rob power from the crankshaft to compress the air.

That being said, there is the issue of “turbo lag”. There are several remedies for that as well. Some manufacturers use two different size turbo’s. A small turbo that spool’s quickly giving the initial boost and a larger turbo that takes more time to spool, but has the high end volume.

Some have used a short burst of Nitrous, in the exhaust manifold, to give the turbo a burst of heat, which it needs to spool quickly.

The other fact about turbo’s is that when you are just cruising, they do nothing. You can be doing 75 on the highway and the turbo’s do nothing because they only respond to heat. It is the expansion of the heat during aggressive throttle use that excites the turbo’s.

I have a T-trim Vortech on my Camaro. It is fantastic except for one issue. While cruising at 75 mph on the highway, it has 5 lbs of boost outside the throttle plates with 14 inches of vacuum inside. The blow off valve is not large enough. It is the “large mouth” blow off, but I will have to add a second blow off valve to try to get rid of the boost when not needed. Kind of eats into the fuel economy when you are compressing air for no reason.

I would guess that under WOT and 15 psi of boost, that the supercharger is eating close to 100 hp itself. That is power that would be going to the wheels if it were a Turbo………….

To me, the issue is space. If you have room for a turbo or turbo’s, the only question is money…….. I would have a turbo on the Camaro, except I am not willing to butcher the body to make room for it. :)

There is no such thing as free HP, the turbo is robbing HP as well....

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
Pretty Much Del said it all.

FYI: You can have a BOV and a FMIC with a VORTECH style S/C but not with a whipple.

Turbo>S/C all day everyday.

See HP Drag cars using Turbo set ups like twins or 76mm and up.

Car is your key word in that sentence. These arent cars. Their big ass heavy trucks and need the low end grunt of a roots style or tvs1900 super charger.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz