I seem to have a coolant leak.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Drive it and check the coolant level. Drive it and check the coolant level. Drive it and check the coolant level........Repeat!

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive it and check the coolant level. Drive it and check the coolant level. Drive it and check the coolant level........Repeat!
that's been my plan so far. Though i get so nervous about opening the cap before its cooled off. I saw a guy get sprayed with coolant before. So i always wait until it's down to 140f or so. Which can take a while.
I'm off work today, and i need the tahoe all day tomorrow.
So hopefully I'll get a few drive and check cycles in.

Is there a way to tell if the stat is opening or not?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If your gauge looks good and you are getting heat inside, the stat is doing it's job. Plus, if you had a laser thermometer you could point and click, so to speak. Always let the coolant cool down and that helps air pockets escape.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be replacing a water pump soon here. I may change to a different coolant instead of Dexcool. Does the 5.3 block have drain plugs like previous generation SBC and BBC's? I'd like to drain the block during the swap, even if I don't change coolant type. 266k miles could have built up crap in the block water jackets. Thanks in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65