I seem to have a coolant leak.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Unless, for some weird reason, the current pump is so off the wall and has no weep hole, that weep hole is there to see. You can get a flexible mechanic's mirror and a flashlight and see the bottom of the pump from up top. Did you use a flashlight from the bottom? I bet the weep hole is there and source of the leak.

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pump is off. It got too dark to work.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I bought the matching t-stat.

The water pump bolt are ugly. They've got crud on the threads that weren't used. I left them soaking in some fogging oil to try to loosen that up.

I also need to find the torque specs. The one video I watched listed them, but I want to double check.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Would be a good idea to "slowly" chase the threads in the holes before reinstalling the bolts and spray some cleaner in there.

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since i cant finish the project until Friday, so I've got some questions to get out of the way.

1. Refill. I'm thinking I should use a funnel and fill the radiator through the upper hose and maybe the pump through the hose neck. It seems inefficient to just fill the over flow again and again. What have you done?
2. Dry gaskets, or rtv?
3. Thermostat o ring, any sealer or just dry?
4. Anti seize on the bolts?

Any other special tips?

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would be a good idea to "slowly" chase the threads in the holes before reinstalling the bolts and spray some cleaner in there.

I clean the bolt holes with a wire brush whenever I replace something like a water pump. I did the same on my rear differential. I bought a pack of spiral wire brushes from Harbor Freight and I use those to clean up the threads on the bolt holes. I use some by hand but I also take a few and snip them in the middle of the "handle" with a pair of wire cutters and I then put the brush in a drill. A few spins with a drill and the bolt holes are all completely clean in about 5 seconds.

61eSxPjaAGL._SY355_.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Good idea and hopefully you blow the holes out after you do the brush cleaning.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea and hopefully you blow the holes out after you do the brush cleaning.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. But that should be a given that you need to blow the holes out with compressed air. If there is any rust or corrosion on the threads, I spray a bit of WD-40 in the hole before I hit it with the wire brush. Then I blow it out with air, and I hold a shop rag over the area so it doesn't blast dirty WD-40 everywhere, most of it gets caught in the rag.

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pump is on and there doesn't seem to be any leaks.
Though temp was at 201f and the new t stat is supposed to be 187f.

I'm going to have to go through more heating cycles to make sure the air is out. But would that cause this?

As i reassembled, i filled the radiator, and some into the pump through the upper hose fitting. I filled the expansion tank and when it drained into the system filled again. I ran the motor for just a couple minutes and filled the expansion again.

Ambient temp is 65f.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman