I have a 6" lift, need help fitting 35x12.50R20 tires. Any advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

20hoe3

Reaction score
So I have a 6" Fabtech lift kit on my 2001 LT Suburban 1500 4x4 Autoride. With BF Goodrich A/T KO2's 285/65R18. Currently, I can turn all the way left to right no rubbing what so ever and fortunatly no trimming of plastic. Ride quality is amazing too.
(Fabtech recommends 305/70R16 with minor trimming of front bumper plastic trim.)

current gears GT4 = 3.73

I can't understand why my 6" lift isn't as tall as most of your lifts on here on the forum. You guys fit 35x12.50 tires all day.

What I want to do is get another set of black wheels and put a set of 35x12.50 tires on them. I feel my tires look to small. In order to do that correctly I have to go taller by at least 2-3". And yes, I would have to upgrade front and rear diff's to 4.56's and get a tune. Great more $$$$$

Don't really want to do a 3" body lift.

Has anyone ever put torsion keys and rear coil spacers in addition to a lift kit? Is it safe? Or possibly create bad driveshaft angles? Idk... any advise would be great.

I also thought of changing brands of lift but its already cut up under there for fabtech and a lot of other brands need what was cut out. LOL SMH

Burb rs.jpg

xFuZzYx

IASCA Car Audio World Champion
Reaction score
you could most likely fit 35's now if you trim your front bumper and dont run any negative offset, I have 35's on 20x14's with -76 offset and rub like a *****, im about to add keys to my 6" lift to get full clearance. People recommend against it but oh well, If I get a lot of drive shaft issues ill just remove my CV axles considering I never use 4wd lol.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you now have 32.6" tall tires (basically a 33") and you're rubbing? What are is your wheel offset? Pictures of it rubbing?

OP
OP
20hoe3

20hoe3

Reaction score
you could most likely fit 35's now if you trim your front bumper and dont run any negative offset, I have 35's on 20x14's with -76 offset and rub like a *****, im about to add keys to my 6" lift to get full clearance. People recommend against it but oh well, If I get a lot of drive shaft issues ill just remove my CV axles considering I never use 4wd lol.

I really like the stance of your tahoe! you have -76 offset???? I was at tire shop a couple months ago and ready to mount 20x10 with -12mm offset. "Fuel Mavrick D538" with 35x12.50 nitto tires. Well, unfortunatly he put on wheel only and said "there is no way these are gonna fit with 35in tires, maybe try 33in because ill rub on the inner front quarter panel (the rear of it closest to driver) he and MANY others have stated that my lift doesnt look like a 6" lift. So I called fabtech and they said it's a true 6" lift! But because silverados are naturally taller in height stock that a true 6" lift for a silverado would be taller than a suburban.

I'm going crazy LOL

But your right I probably can fit 35" tires but going to have to be smaller in width for my current set up.

Did you re-gear your tahoe? Tune?

fabtech.jpg

OP
OP
20hoe3

20hoe3

Reaction score
So you now have 32.6" tall tires (basically a 33") and you're rubbing? What are is your wheel offset? Pictures of it rubbing?

Right now I have no rubbing what so ever with my current 32.6" tires. I will rub bad if I mount 35x12.50. So I'm asking if I could install torsion keys and rear coils to increase height by 2" more. That should make a total of 8" lift allowing me to mount 35x12.50

The rim I have now is an UGLY WELD Racing "Espada 6 series" 18" with 5.54in backspace / offset +20.00mm

With my wheels now I wouldn't be able to mount a wider tire. Unless I put wheel spacers on. But like I said I dont like the wheels on currently and would like to change them out for black off road style ones.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now I have no rubbing what so ever with my current 32.6" tires. I will rub bad if I mount 35x12.50. So I'm asking if I could install torsion keys and rear coils to increase height by 2" more. That should make a total of 8" lift allowing me to mount 35x12.50

The rim I have now is an UGLY WELD Racing "Espada 6 series" 18" with 5.54in backspace / offset +20.00mm

With my wheels now I wouldn't be able to mount a wider tire. Unless I put wheel spacers on. But like I said I dont like the wheels on currently and would like to change them out for black off road style ones.
Probably but you will be stretching that lift to (more than likely) past it's limitations and replacing parts more often. How close are you to rubbing currently? What offset wheels do you have? Plan on getting?

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Just put cognito lift upper control arms, eBay keys, 2" coil spacer, and zone 1.5" body lift. Then run some 20x12 on 305/55R20

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just put cognito lift upper control arms, eBay keys, 2" coil spacer, and zone 1.5" body lift. Then run some 20x12 on 305/55R20
And replace CV joints constantly...

OP
OP
20hoe3

20hoe3

Reaction score
Probably but you will be stretching that lift to (more than likely) past it's limitations and replacing parts more often. How close are you to rubbing currently? What offset wheels do you have? Plan on getting?

When I called Fabtech, they said they made it to where they basically lifted truck and while keeping factory suspension geometry. So, I figued well if its factory geometry what harm would be to add rear coil spacers and torsion keys. Wouldnt that be like adding that to a stock suspension set up?

The wheels I would like to go with is 20". The problem is idk what width and offset to go with.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I called Fabtech, they said they made it to where they basically lifted truck and while keeping factory suspension geometry. So, I figued well if its factory geometry what harm would be to add rear coil spacers and torsion keys. Wouldnt that be like adding that to a stock suspension set up?

The wheels I would like to go with is 20". The problem is idk what width and offset to go with.
Do you know what adding extra lift does to nearly every component in the front? The kit is designed for the way it is setup, you could probably get be with cranking slightly higher.

20" means nothing, you will likely have to go with a near stock offset to get even close to making this work. Like I asked before, take some pics, you may be fine with a little cranking. Take pics of the wheels turned both ways and check for clearance. Also what tire are you wanting to get? Not all measure out to 35" so that may be to your benefit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon

Latest posts