Hydro-Boost conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DIAZ

Reaction score
So I finally upgraded my brakes to hydro boost on Saturday and I have to say best coversion ever and its night and day with my brakes. Didn't require too many parts and only 1 modification had to be done. First off I like to say I have a 95 Yukon so I don't know what would be the difference from the 96 and up would be. I got the hydro boost off a 1998 Chevrolet 3500 with a 7.4. I initially took the power steering pump all the lines, of course the hydro boost, the master cylinder and the brake pedal. I bought new lines becuase when I took the other ones off it looked like they were leaking oil and since I didn't want to do the work twice I just bought them new. All together I spent about $100.00 thats parts and all. The Hydro boost was a direct bolt on to where the power booster was at and from what I saw the master cylinder was exactly the same. I've also read that the brake pedal would need to be changed but when I compared both mine and the one off the 3500 it was exactly the same so I didnt need that. Also you have to change the power steering pump since the pump has 2 returns and 1 pressure. All together the system has 4 lines, 2 pressure hoses and 2 return hoses. One presure goes to the Power steering to hydro boost and the other presure goes to hydro boost to gear box and same with the return. The only modification that had to be done was to the metal bracket that connects the power steering pump and alternator, which is behind the power steering pump had to be cut in half. It took about 3 hours to do all the work and only because it was raining so had to stop a few times. If you want more pictures let me know.

20121112_124311.gif

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks good!

(moved to Engine & Drivetrain section)

OP
OP
DIAZ

DIAZ

Reaction score
No i don't, didn't think about it till after I was done.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive been wanting to do this for quite a while now, glad to hear of another member getting it swapped without any problems.

mudslinger96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice install bro. Been hearing alot about hydra-boost but haven't found any answers. What are the benefits? How hard is it to install? And where can i get the parts for the conversion?

OP
OP
DIAZ

DIAZ

Reaction score
Nice install bro. Been hearing alot about hydra-boost but haven't found any answers. What are the benefits? How hard is it to install? And where can i get the parts for the conversion?

Benefit wise, my yukon breaks 1000 times better, you will feel the difference in stoping power. The hardest part to do was swap the power steering pump and thats becuase of the pulley, other than that its pretty simple. Didn't run into any problems converting it to hydro-boost. It bolts right up to where the power booster was at and just run the lines to the power steering and gear box and bleed the brakes. For finding the parts you would need to look around to your local u pull it, thats where I found mine at. All you need is the power steering, all three lines that come with the hydro-boost, hydro boost itself. Master cylinder is the same and so is the brake pedal. That way you don't have to spend money on parts that you don't need. Mine hydro-boost came off a 98 Chevrolet 3500 with a 7.4. You can't really tell from the pictures but if you look at it you wouldn't be able to tell that it was a conversion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn