How to replace a water pump on a 00-06 Tahoe/Yukon/Burban/Escalade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the process of draining the cooling system, removing the water pump, and then re-installing it.

[YT]fY8uJeM3ArU&feature=channel[/YT]

[YT]zP2WvZI4ukA&feature=channel[/YT]

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott, you made one. We were just talking about this. You did this real quick. Very much appreciated for this. Since you know im about to do it also. Just a little different.

edit-- nvrmind, its not you. lol. but very much appreciated still. lol

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, thats not me. But I figured this was much needed on this site, especially with all the talk recently about replacing water pumps.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's really pretty easy Mike, just get a water pump with a new thermostat and you should have no problems!!

yukondoit

Stay Classy
Reaction score
Nice write up!
I read that thread on low coolant light and notice 3 days ago mine came on. I'm going to take a look this evening after work. If its the water pump, ill refer back to this write up.. Good job ScottyBoy.:Handshake:

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually got mine changed out very easy by watching those videos. Like others have mentioned on here, the hardest part was getting the damn fan off. Also, my radiator drain was a bit stubborn and didnt wanna open without pliers, even after I got it turning. I shopped around for a water pump and the cheapest I could find was a remanufactured one from rockauto.com for $55 bucks plus a core charge of like $17 or something like that. So it would have cost me almost $80 plus shipping. The cheapest local place was NAPA which had a reman for $85 plus a $20 core. Everywhere else they were about $100-$130. I ended up finding an online coupon code for Advance auto parts which was $40 off any purchase over $100. They had a brand new pump for $120 with no core charge. So I ordered it online and picked it up in the store about an hour later. After the $40 off, I paid $80 for a brand new water pump with a lifetime warranty. Can't beat that with a stick!

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a new thermostat today from NAPA and it came separate from the housing . part #506186. with the luck I've been having hopefully the guy was right in telling me this is how the new ones come.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I got the same crap from Napa as well, I'm pretty sure my stock thermostat was integrated with the housing and Napa told me I was crazy, so I went home a got the thermostat and stuck it on his bench to prove it to him!! Needless to say, he did a little more searching in his computer and low and behold he found the right one, I'd take that one back and make him find the right one or else buy one somewhere else, the other places had the correct one!

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Riviera I was about to put it in today. I'm glad I read this first. Does the stock thermostat even come out of the housing or is it all one piece? I'm taking it back and if they don't have the right one I'll try Oreilly's. I'm sure mine is stuck and maybe the reason my fans don't know what the hell to do!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure mine was a one piece and I'm pretty sure Napa thought I was crazy, just take it back and if they can't get you the one piece I'd go somewhere else!! Just take yours out and slap it on their desk, they should be able to find the right one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645