How to replace a water pump on a 00-06 Tahoe/Yukon/Burban/Escalade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevy_man

Reaction score
Didn't watch the videos but I have to say it's a simple install even for the novices. One thing I will suggest is a very, very large drain pan because you will spill from somewhere when you're not expecting it.

Also, since when is it a good idea to put the damn thermostat that low in the system? I like my old tbi where it only takes a splash of coolant to re-fill the radiator after I change a t-stat.

Jewel or Jalopy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great videos, very clear and seems pretty easy.

I'm a big fan of doing other things while you're in there, so it looks like replacing the belts, thermostat and upper hose at the same time would be no more work. Is the big hose on the water pump the lower hose?

Anything else worth replacing while in there?

Any brands of water pumps to go with or to avoid?

Thanks!

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is a pretty easy job. I found these videos on youtube so I decided to post them here to help others. They aren't my videos, so I cannot take credit for them. I would suggest replacing the hoses and belts while you are at it. As far as brands, I am not sure. I did pay the few extra $$ for a new one as opposed to getting a remanufactured one though. Also, I ordered mine online from Advanced auto parts, and did the in store pick up. You can google coupon codes to save a LOT of money like that. I found a coupon code for $40 off any purchase of $100 or more. The pump was about $120 so it came up to like 80 bucks. I ordered it and picked it up about 20 minutes later at the store about 3 miles from my house.

Buzzcut

Reaction score
I would have to question the process of paper gaskets and rtv on o-rings. This is stupid azzed slipshod work. No torque wrenches, I mean wtf.

paper gasket will leak sooner than the metal plate/o-ring and o-rings never require sealant.
Torque wrenches are a minimum, gudentite went out long ago.

Jimmy John

Reaction score
Is it just me or is the video link gone now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjhorst14