2003 Yukon 4.8L - water pump replaced, now low temp reading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajscala

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Replaced the water pump and thermostat on my 03 GMC Yukon the other day and now the temperature on the gauge only goes to about 185. Before it would go near 210. The coolant in the reservoir remains at the full/cold mark. This is bad, right? I've read that there may be air trapped in the system. If this is the case, how do I get it out on this particular vehicle?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you bought a thermostat with a lower temperature? They'll usually ask if the parts counter guy is paying attention and there are different options.

In my experience, trapped air is almost never an issue on these engines the way the steam vents and of the coolant hoses work.

Actually, the opposite happens if you have trapped air: you get hot temperature readings.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is lower temp t-stat than ordered, or something stuck in the t-stat or gasket area causing a bypass scenario

OP
OP
A

ajscala

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I put the old thermostat, gasket, and housing back on and topped off the coolant. Been running for about 20 minutes now and the temp gauge is reading about 180. Seems like the thermostat is bypassed? What could cause this?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read before about some kind of flow restrictor in the return hose to the overflow tank. If it is missing that would cause something this. Do not know if that applies to this vehicle or situation. Just throwing it out there.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the old thermostat, gasket, and housing back on and topped off the coolant. Been running for about 20 minutes now and the temp gauge is reading about 180. Seems like the thermostat is bypassed? What could cause this?
180 seems better than before? I'd just get a new thermostat that is a 190F and see what it does. Have you checked the upper and lower hose with an IR gun to see what the delta is? If your lower hose is close in temp to the upper hose, then you have bypassing. If it's a large spread, especially in cooler weather, you're probably OK.

If you didn't replace anything but the pump and t-stat, I'd focus on that before looking at other things.

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didnt end up with a highly efficient water pump that none of us have..... Its your thermostat and its the wrong one. The opening temp is stamped right on the flange of the thermostat. Check your old one if you still have it. Otherwise lookup what yours takes and make sure you have that value.

OP
OP
A

ajscala

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I took the new one back to the store. Sure enough it was the wrong one! The guy must have put 5.3l motor not 4.8 or something. They gave me the correct one and I just installed it and it is working properly. Glad it was something simple. Thank you all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo