How to disable hansdfeee lift gate sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turning it off from inside turns it into a manual only lift gate.

at 6'3" i get hit every time i load groceries.

was hoping someone would know where to put the tape to blind the sensor.

Usefulness = 1 time Hit in head >20 times
Not an optical sensor so nothing to cover with tape.

pfennig_san

Reaction score
Just keeping this thread alive -- this is one of the only things I don't like about my truck. I have an awesome power liftgate I keep turned off because it always tries to close on me. Hoping somebody figures out the fix. I wish there was a wire to clip that would disable the sensor but not the rest of the power liftgate..

jcgvt01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Tahoe is in the shop today actually for routine oil change. I gave them the printout of the Part number and CVN, but the service desk girl gave me a stupid look on her face. She said the tech would "check on" the liftgate. I'm not optimistic.

Cattivo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turning it off from inside turns it into a manual only lift gate.

at 6'3" i get hit every time i load groceries.

was hoping someone would know where to put the tape to blind the sensor.

Usefulness = 1 time Hit in head >20 times

I'm 6'3'' as well and can't tell you how many times I've nearly gave myself a concussion on a lift gate... best option is to wear a helmet or lift the truck lol :D

jcgvt01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok, so my dealer DID say it needs an update!!! But they couldn't do it today....some personnel issues, etc. (small town dealer).

He gave me the printout of the update needed. It's and update dated November 30, 2016 - applicable to 2015 and 2016 Suburban and Tahoe

#PIT5531: Unwanted Hands Free Liftgate Activation (Reprogram Liftgate Control Module K39) - (Nov 30, 2016)
Labor Operation: 2810905

Condition: Some customers may comment:
- Unwanted power liftgate opening or closing if the key fob is near the Hands Free liftgate detection area. This area is within 3 ft (1m) of the rear bumper.
- The Hands Free Liftgate Module calibration may be too sensitive.

I can try to figure out how to post a picture of the sheet he gave me later.

I will be taking the Tahoe back next week when I have time.

jcgvt01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
got the liftgate control module updated today. seems to have fixed the issue in my limited 10 minutes of testing. couldn't get it to close on me by just "dancing" around the back with the key in my pocket. actually had a harder time getting the liftgate to close TRYING to activate it with the kicking motion.

Last edited:

pfennig_san

Reaction score
This is great news and I'm happy someone was able to follow through with a fix. After speaking with my dealer's service manager on the phone I knew I'd need to have some solid evidence there was a fix available before going down there because they didn't have any idea what I was talking about. Is there any way you could post a picture of what your dealer gave you on the update?

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is great news and I'm happy someone was able to follow through with a fix. After speaking with my dealer's service manager on the phone I knew I'd need to have some solid evidence there was a fix available before going down there because they didn't have any idea what I was talking about. Is there any way you could post a picture of what your dealer gave you on the update?
Show them or tell them about this:

He gave me the printout of the update needed. It's and update dated November 30, 2016 - applicable to 2015 and 2016 Suburban and Tahoe

#PIT5531: Unwanted Hands Free Liftgate Activation (Reprogram Liftgate Control Module K39) - (Nov 30, 2016)
Labor Operation: 2810905

Condition: Some customers may comment:
- Unwanted power liftgate opening or closing if the key fob is near the Hands Free liftgate detection area. This area is within 3 ft (1m) of the rear bumper.
- The Hands Free Liftgate Module calibration may be too sensitive.

pfennig_san

Reaction score
Who is your dealer? If Chevy addressed this in November, I don't know why they couldn't look it up months later.

Last edited:

pfennig_san

Reaction score
I had the lift gate reprogram done today at the dealer. Even with the GM printout from jcgvt01, I still had to bat away comments about how this update might not cover my truck, and it requires a part to be ordered, and it might not fix the problem -- wrong-wrong-wrong. Eventually, they agreed to do the work and make sure it was fixed because its still under warranty. Without that printout I would have been dead in the water I'm sure. Thanks jcgvt01!

So far so good. I turned on the power lift gate and it didn't try to close on me when I loaded groceries this afternoon.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/members/jcgvt01.56902/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons