How in the heck are you guys running 22's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atcaw94

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got a 99 Yukon, 4 door, 2wd that has Helo Kick 22" wheels with Kumho 305/45/22 tires. I love the looks, but they rub something fierce!!! I have to park at the end of the row in parking lots cause I can't turn in a spot without the tires scrubbing so bad. Also, you can see where the front tires have some gouges where they hit the fenderwells if you hit a pothole. And of course, trying to get this truck stopped with stock wheels/tires is a joke, so with these big a**, heavy rims/tires it's kind of scary.

I believe the wheels are either 9.5 or 10" wide, and best I can tell they have 5 3/4 backspacing. I'm running the stock wheels/tires right now until I figure something out. Boy, do these truck look like doodoo on stock wheels ;) I would have got some other wheels a long time ago, but unfortunately my wheels are 5 lug:emotions122:

So..... how are all you guys running these wheels? Are you just putting up with the rubbing/scrubbing/hard to stop dilemma? Any help is appreciated!
Thanks
DJ

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
305 series tire is pretty damn wide.. the rims might be 10"wide, but the tire equates to 12" wide. stock rims are around 6 to 7inchs wide. your doubling the amount of tire without doing any modifications.

Soo you can either grab a set of smaller tires, or do some modding to make them fit and turn easier. Rolling the lips on the fenders would be a great idea to reduce the tire "cutting" also maybe getting a set of stiffer shocks might help a hair..

OP
OP
atcaw94

atcaw94

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
305 series tire is pretty damn wide.. the rims might be 10"wide, but the tire equates to 12" wide. stock rims are around 6 to 7inchs wide. your doubling the amount of tire without doing any modifications.

Soo you can either grab a set of smaller tires, or do some modding to make them fit and turn easier. Rolling the lips on the fenders would be a great idea to reduce the tire "cutting" also maybe getting a set of stiffer shocks might help a hair..

What size tire could I fit on those rims to work? Is 285 35 the best size to put on there, or do you suggest something else? I also thought about putting some spacers up front to raise the front a little to level the look out and maybe provide a little more clearance.
Thanks

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same exact tire size when I ran my 22's and they rubbed a tiny bit. I have 305/30/26's now and they rub more.

OP
OP
atcaw94

atcaw94

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same exact tire size when I ran my 22's and they rubbed a tiny bit. I have 305/30/26's now and they rub more.

You had the 305/45 or the 285/35? Have you done any kind of brake upgrade for 26's? That's a lot of rotating mass to haul to a stop ;) Just the 22's are an adventure with these poor excuse for brakes. GM should be ashamed to admit they put these brakes on a vehicle that most people use as a tow vehicle.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I RUN A LOWERED SUS, i HAVE 265/35/22. HERE IN NY, HAD THIS SET UP FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS. DUE TO LOVELY NY ROADS, MY RIMS ARE BENT SLIGHTLY BUT NOT ENOUGH TO CAUS A SHAKE AT 100MPH AND JUST GOT FIRST ******* BUBBLE.

MY NEXT SET OF TIRES I JUST ORDERED ARE 265/40/22

gl

GO WITH FALKEN STZ04'S BEST TIRE BANG FOR BUCK!

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I RUN A LOWERED SUS, i HAVE 265/35/22. HERE IN NY, HAD THIS SET UP FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS. DUE TO LOVELY NY ROADS, MY RIMS ARE BENT SLIGHTLY BUT NOT ENOUGH TO CAUS A SHAKE AT 100MPH AND JUST GOT FIRST ******* BUBBLE.

MY NEXT SET OF TIRES I JUST ORDERED ARE 265/40/22

gl

GO WITH FALKEN STZ04'S BEST TIRE BANG FOR BUCK!

I used to have falken stz04 on both my silverado and crown vic. I had alot of problems with them. on my silverado I had a slash on the inside of the sidewall. they took 3 months to figure out it was a tire defect. and they also crack real bad.

PAPERCHASER360

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where online can I find the 22" Helo Kicks? I currently have the 20" version on my 1999 Hoe.

Ceejkay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are my wheel wells bigger or something, im running 305/40 and do not rub at all, even when im off road with them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaymerkz