How high can i go with cranking and rear blocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like your torsion bars are shot. I ran my bolts about half way in and got about 1.5" or so

I measure at 46" from the ground to the center of my fender flares.

As for the Eaton disclamer, you are correct, it does say a 32-33" tire, many guys are runing bigger than that though. If it blows do not tell them it was a bigger size

OP
OP
E

EastTXYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as a point of refrence, I cranked my torsion bars just enough to make the front end of my truck sit level with the rear end, and I came out with 35 3/4" from the concrete to the bottom of my fender flare. (front is actually about a 3/4 of an inch higher than the rear right now)

The bolts are maybe halfway in. In either case, I have some more room to play with. When I add my rear blocks to the back, I still will have room to crank my bars without having to max them out. All I need is another 1" to 1 1/4" out of my torsion bars.

When I'm done, my rear and front ends will be sitting at 37" from pavement to the bottom of the fender flare (or thats my plan, anyway) As stated in my previous post, I am just trying to decide what brand and size tire to run from that setup.

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@crmzendrgone : With the 265 tires and stock rims, your measurement is about 1.5" over stock from mine. When I crawled under there, the head of the bolt was flush with the bottom edge of the torsion bar crossmember. When I was doing my crank, I was measuring from the floor to the bottom edge of my front quarter panels and just went up 2" from the measurements I took before cranking. If I remember correctly, It took about 1/2" of bolt threads to get 2". So I went from 3/4" to roughly 1/4" of bolt thread showing. I hope that helps a bit, but it sounds to me like yours might have already been cranked or your bars are worn some.

RSymons

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, mine is the same way went from about 3/4" to about 1/4" on the torsion bolts. I parked my truck on level ground to do the adjustment, and then took it for a quick spin around the block and checked it again. I measured from the top of the wheel to the bottom of the outside edge of the fender flare on both sides!

Here are a few pics of the torsion bolts, and the gap between the wheel and fender, and a pic of the rear 1" block.

Attachments

• 100_3860.jpg
    100_3860.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 110
  • 100_3858.jpg
    100_3858.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 100_3857.jpg
    100_3857.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 100_3851.jpg
    100_3851.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4219.jpg
    IMG_4219.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 119
OP
OP
E

EastTXYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RSymons, I love the stance of your truck. What is your tire and wheel combo, and what do you have in the way of lift? Just crank and blocks or do you have anything else on there?

Thanks!

RSymons

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, EastTXYukon .
The tires are Cooper discoverer S/T LT285/75R16 M+S and the rims are MB Razor and the finish is black machine face(BMF). I bought the wheels/rims from discount tire. i did trim a little bit on the inside fender wells so they would not rub as bad, and then got tired of it rubbin so i installed the blocks and cranked the torsion bars up.no more rubbin now! And thats it!!!

Attachments

• 100_3708.jpg
    100_3708.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 49
  • tahoe guard 101.jpg
    tahoe guard 101.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 74

crmzendrgone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info. I will try to get some pics when it gets cooler or decide to go out and work on it at night. Again good info on this thread:D

swab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2" crank, 1" block wouldbe good. i cranked mine when i replaced my front end parts with moog and raybestos lifetime warranty stuff and it rides good. still havent got around to the rear and really dont think im going to. rear is stock for 4x4 and the front end is 2" higher than the rear

99GMC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
when i bought the denali, the rear measured 35" and the front 37". this is with the 24" rims on. I recently added 1.5" blocks and add-a-leafs which brought the rear to 38.5".

I want to crank my torsion keys to get 1 more inch in front but:

A) I dont where the hell the torsion keys are! lol

B) Once I do find them, how will I know if they are already cranked?

C) How much is cranked too far?

D) If they are cranked too far, what are my options to get one more inch in front?

Sorry for all questions but you guys seem to have the right answers for this subject.

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A) I dont where the hell the torsion keys are! lol

There is a crossmember in the middle of your truck with the keys in em...look for two long torsion bars going from your front suspension to the crossmember.

B) Once I do find them, how will I know if they are already cranked?

Measure from the base of the bolt head to the plate (the threads). We are finding about 3/4" exposed threads is about stock.

C) How much is cranked too far?

Anything over 2" is gonna ride like absolute crap.

D) If they are cranked too far, what are my options to get one more inch in front?

Indexed keys will allow you to crank more, but it's still going to ride like crap. A crossmember-drop lift is the next true stage up that will preserve a good ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts