How high can i go with cranking and rear blocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EastTXYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question. Thanks for the help so far with some of my other noob questions.

I want to lift my 1996 2 Door Yukon just a few inches, so I have decided to crank the torsion bars a little and add rear blocks. I noticed there are quite a few options as to what size rear blocks I can get. At summit racing they list rear lift blocks ranging in size from 1 to 5 inches.

What size rear blocks would you guys recommend for just a torsion crank and rear block lift?

I don't think I want to max out my torsion bars, but don't mind cranking them up pretty good. Just need some advice before i purchase.

TIA

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i woudl say a 2inch block maybe 3 at most depending on how much you can get out of crank. but the more you crank the worse it will ride and u will get bad cv angles and lead to more problems if you max out when cranking. im going to do 2 inch block with crank to level front

OP
OP
E

EastTXYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks BlueBus!

I should probably add that my Yukon is comletely stock with no lift as it is. I just want a little bit of lift to make it look more like a 4x4, and maybe run a little bit bigger tire on my stock 16" wheels.

RSymons

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished installing 1" blocks in the rear and slightly cranked the torsion bars. I needed a little more clearance for the bigger tires i am running. I bought the blocks from jegs for $20. I am pretty happy with the way it turned out.

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a 2" crank on mine...there was a little more room to go higher, but I wouldn't recommend it. The ride is rougher, but not too bad. I rides more like a truck than a cushmobile now and doesn't lean so much on turns which is how I like it. I'm planning on doing 2" blocks in the rear as soon as time allows.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say 1.5" - 2" on the torsion bar crank....just do not sit it on the bump stops. As for a rear block, that dpeneds on the look you are after. Most of the time the rear is already up higher and people crank the front to look level with the rear. you may want no block in the back but I would not go more that a 2" in the rear.

OP
OP
E

EastTXYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the hep so far guys!

I am wanting to run a bigger and liitle bit more aggressive tire on my truck which is why i am looking for the few inches of lift. Right now it has some Cooper Discoverer ATR's in a 265/75r16. Here are the tires i'm trying to decide between:

BFG All-Terrain T/A KO 295/75 r16 Actual Overall Diameter: 33.2" Section Width 11.5"

General Grabber AT2 295/75 r16 Actual Overall Diameter: 33.6" Section Width 11.6"

General Grabber AT2 285/75 r16 Actual Overall Diameter 33.1" Section Width 11.3"

Would I be able to run any of these tires with my stock 16" wheels with a 2" rear block and front stock torsion bar crank? How do you think it would look? Hungry wheel wells or too much tire? This is a daily driver and I am not looking to get out the sawzall or anything. I want the rubbing to be kept to a minimum.

Thanks!

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd stick to the 285's. I've got a 32.7" tire and I rub sometimes even after the 2" crank, but I don't run stock rims, so that might not help you much.

AquinoSteven

Key and Spacer Guru
Reaction score
I dont think youll have a problem running a true 33 with the stock rims. They help you out quite a bit. Aftermarket rims are a different story

crmzendrgone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to know where everyone is measuring from to know they have lifted the front 2". I seem to only get about an 1" and that is burying the bolt in the key. My overall from top of wheel well(bottom of fender) to the concrete is about 36" +-.

So does that sound right or am I just confused?

A little info about tires and size if you ever get an aftermarket rear end say an eaton brand it says right on there warranty VOID if running larger than 32s. Just a tid bit of info.???:dunno:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz