Hopefully my last thermostat question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, just trying to do this right:

I just noticed my water pump came with a paper gasket and the o-ring for the thermostat. Do I use both? Or choose one? I am thinking both with a touch of rtv on both sides of the gasket. Using antiseize on all the bolts too. I will probably never have them off again, but who knows, she only had 166,233 on the clock.

OP
OP
S1nemesis1s

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to bump this one up since I am doing this job this weekend.

1. I was advised by 1a auto to use BOTH the oring gasket and the paper gasket that came with my new thermostat and water pump - this does not sound right...is it right?

2. Can I install the thermostat before I install the pump? I don't remember anything interfering, but its been about 1.5 weeks.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's weird. My waterpump has metal gaskets with rubber inserts. No RTV, just torque to spec. They even sell them sepeerately. Not sure about paper gaskets..Thermostat is ez to do after waterpump is bolted down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S1nemesis1s

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's weird. My waterpump has metal gaskets with rubber inserts. No RTV, just torque to spec. They even sell them sepeerately. Not sure about paper gaskets..Thermostat is ez to do after waterpump is bolted down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I should clarify. The water pump came with two metal gaskets - the thermostat came with a rubber o-ring and a paper gasket. I used both the o-ring gasket and paper gasket - no leak thus far. I think I am good to go:) Thank you all for your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyguy88