Highway says 5% grade, 2021 Yukon Instruments say 2-3degrees

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We recently purchased a used 2021 Yukon Denali and one of the features is the 'level' of the vehicle. We live among the mountains - so anyplace we go to escape town requires going over a 5% or 6% grade as posted on the various highways out of town.

However, I've noticed that the rig's 'level gauge' never exceeds 3% even though the grade appears to be 5% according to the road signs.

Is the onboard vehicle level gauge inaccurate or am I misunderstanding the expected level of accuracy? Not meaning to come of as critical (LOVE the rig) but rather a 2% difference seems like a lot so I'm curious.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting question. I have that in mine, but never had hills steep enough to play with it on a regular basis. I know the trucks have a rake to the front for aerodynamics, maybe that's not figured in?

The way to get scientific about it would be to park on a grade, see what the truck says, and then use a level to check the actual grade. I'd probably recommend a not busy road though. LOL

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed this as well. I've pulled some hills and thought "I wonder what % grade I'm on." When I look at the pitch it's saying somewhere between 1-3%. Much less than I think it would be. The roll however seems to be very sensitive and will show numbers higher than expected.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... among the mountains - anyplace we go to escape town requires going over a 5% or 6% grade as posted on the various highways ...
... noticed that the rig's 'level gauge' never exceeds 3%, even though the grade appears to be 5% according to the road signs.
Govt covering its arse by never understating the grade; they'd rather overstate for their protection.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OP
OP
tagexpcom

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right - the rig shows degrees. I have been mentally lazy all my life and just equated 5% grade with 5 degrees - but of course they're not the same :)
1700686377129.png

Amended the title to say degrees instead of %

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We recently purchased a used 2021 Yukon Denali and one of the features is the 'level' of the vehicle. We live among the mountains - so anyplace we go to escape town requires going over a 5% or 6% grade as posted on the various highways out of town.

However, I've noticed that the rig's 'level gauge' never exceeds 3% even though the grade appears to be 5% according to the road signs.

Is the onboard vehicle level gauge inaccurate or am I misunderstanding the expected level of accuracy? Not meaning to come of as critical (LOVE the rig) but rather a 2% difference seems like a lot so I'm curious.
Noticed the same thing, specifically with Monteagle Mountain in Tennessee. I believe the grade signs say 5-6%? I've never seen more than 2 or 3% on the display.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65