Help with service suspension system 13' yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncokeley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im new! So my service suspension light has been coming on and off intermittently. The pump sounded terrible so I replaced it. Sounds good now. My problem is when I tow. Pump turns on and brings level up decently and then every 3 minutes the exhaust of the pump goes loud and then pump turns back on for ~15seconds. After towing for awhile everything stops(prevent pump to overheat?) but the truck is now bottomed out with no air suspension. Is it my electronic suspension control module failing? Constantly tellingly the pump to exhaust? And if I replace that do I need to program is or can I use a used one and plug n play? Thanks for any help. Greatly appreciate anything!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im new! So my service suspension light has been coming on and off intermittently. The pump sounded terrible so I replaced it. Sounds good now. My problem is when I tow. Pump turns on and brings level up decently and then every 3 minutes the exhaust of the pump goes loud and then pump turns back on for ~15seconds. After towing for awhile everything stops(prevent pump to overheat?) but the truck is now bottomed out with no air suspension. Is it my electronic suspension control module failing? Constantly tellingly the pump to exhaust? And if I replace that do I need to program is or can I use a used one and plug n play? Thanks for any help. Greatly appreciate anything!
I am assuming that you also checked the rear shocks for leaks. What brand of compressor did you install? Did it come with a new relay for under the hood and if so, did you replace it? The most common mode of failure for AutoLevel systems is the air bag on the shock starts to leak, which in turn causes the air compressor to run a lot which then causes the compressor to fail. You do have a number of folks, myself included, that have their compressors fail due to salt spray from the road eating it up as well. The compressor and the shocks are the most common failure points that I hear about here. I can't say I remember seeing anyone mention the control module being bad, but that's not to say it never happens.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Put a soap mixture in a spray bottle and spray both shocks air connections and their rubber bladders. Also spray the air lines coming from the compressor to the shocks. If you have a leak, it will show.

OP
OP
N

ncokeley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am assuming that you also checked the rear shocks for leaks. What brand of compressor did you install? Did it come with a new relay for under the hood and if so, did you replace it? The most common mode of failure for AutoLevel systems is the air bag on the shock starts to leak, which in turn causes the air compressor to run a lot which then causes the compressor to fail. You do have a number of folks, myself included, that have their compressors fail due to salt spray from the road eating it up as well. The compressor and the shocks are the most common failure points that I hear about here. I can't say I remember seeing anyone mention the control module being bad, but that's not to say it never happens.
I didn't get a relay with the new pump, but the pump seems to be working fine. I had the local tire/suspension shop look at the air shocks and they said they looked good and are holding air. It's only when I load it alot with the trailer that the exhaust valve on the pump seems to always want to open and then turn on. It's pretty much every 3 minutes, releases exhaust, pump turns on 15 seconds. And then after awhile everything stops because I'm guessing to protect the pump.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't get a relay with the new pump, but the pump seems to be working fine. I had the local tire/suspension shop look at the air shocks and they said they looked good and are holding air. It's only when I load it alot with the trailer that the exhaust valve on the pump seems to always want to open and then turn on. It's pretty much every 3 minutes, releases exhaust, pump turns on 15 seconds. And then after awhile everything stops because I'm guessing to protect the pump.
When you way it only happens when you load it "alot", what do you mean by "alot"?

What brand of compressor did you put on? I've had good luck with Arnott and Dorman myself. Are you still getting the service suspension message on your dash? If so, get a good scan tool and see what it is telling you. I am assuming you put a scan tool on it prior to swapping out the compressor. If so, what did it say then? With the right scan tool, you should be able to see if the control module is commanding a pressure relief or the pressure relief valve on the compressor is letting go at too low of pressure.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still recommend that you do the soapy water spray bottle test.

OP
OP
N

ncokeley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I still recommend that you do the soapy water spray bottle test.
Yes, I'm going to do that here soon because it could just be a small leak especially under weight when towing. Also what is the difference between the AC Delco 580-1091 and the 580-1093? Are they essentially the same shock?

OP
OP
N

ncokeley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Soap test worked great. Drivers side air shock leaking a fair amount. Went ahead and replaced both rear shocks. Pretty easy tear out and install. Thanks for the help!

Also the front shocks/struts squeak a ton, are they going bad or is there something to help with the noise when I drive over speedbumps etc.?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar