"Service Suspension" Msg solved when compressor deleted. Easy DYI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cam5638

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I converted my suspension from air to hydraulic coil-overs, and removed the compressor. The "Service Suspension" msg appeared, and would not clear. I tried the usual pulling fuses, battery disconnect and other voodoo without success.
The fact is that this msg will appear if any sensors in the system are missing/defective. Removing the compressor will trigger codes....
To solve this, I unplugged, and removed the compressor, placing it on my bench. I did the following to create a plug-in solution:
1) Unplug the 3-wire pressure sensor from the compressor. Unscrew the pressure sensor, and plug it back into the harness.
2) Cut, and cap the 2 larger power wires leading to the compressor motor.
3) The two remaining wires go to the compressor exhaust valve. Cut those two wires, and remove the harness from the compressor.
Next solder a 25 watt, 3.9 ohm resistor between the two wires.
4) Weather-proof the harness as you wish, leaving the resistor exposed to dissipate heat. Plug the harness back in, and secure it away from wheel/road wash.
Clear codes, and you are done.
Note: This will solve the compressor-related codes, but if other suspension-related sensors are missing/damaged, you will still get the msg.
Most scan tools will read/clear the suspension codes. I recommend also recalibrating the level with a Tech 2, as most others can not access that feature.
This worked for me, and I have not had further "Service Suspension" msgs.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I converted my suspension from air to hydraulic coil-overs, and removed the compressor. The "Service Suspension" msg appeared, and would not clear. I tried the usual pulling fuses, battery disconnect and other voodoo without success.
The fact is that this msg will appear if any sensors in the system are missing/defective. Removing the compressor will trigger codes....
To solve this, I unplugged, and removed the compressor, placing it on my bench. I did the following to create a plug-in solution:
1) Unplug the 3-wire pressure sensor from the compressor. Unscrew the pressure sensor, and plug it back into the harness.
3) The two remaining wires go to the compressor exhaust valve. Cut those two wires, and remove the harness from the compressor.
4) Weather-proof the harness as you wish, leaving the resistor exposed to dissipate heat. Plug the harness back in, and secure it away from wheel/road wash.
Note: This will solve the compressor-related codes, but if other suspension-related sensors are missing/damaged, you will still get the msg.
Most scan tools will read/clear the suspension codes. I recommend also recalibrating the level with a Tech 2, as most others can not access that feature.

Good info! I can't say anyone's ever bothered to go this far. AFAIK, when deleting the ALC, it has always been advised to just leave the compressor in place, plugged in and pull some fuses for the compressor motor and something else. It's convenient that that value of resistor works cuz it's the same as for the Autoride delete.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Thank you for sharing your success story, and for putting 'Solved' in your thread title.

Our collective knowledge base has been increased.

KidWgn

Certified Kid Hauler
Reaction score
sending you a virtual HJ.:manos:

I know what I'm doing this weekend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts