Heads resurfaced?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uli93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On my 99 tahoe. 5.7 2wd. Misfires when I get on the pedal . Spudders when I floor it. Feels like it's going to shut off when coming to a stop. Tune up just done. Wires cap and rotor and plugs. Revs up fine while in park. I did notice water coming out the exhuast manifolds when I removed the exhaust pipes to replace the tranny. I'm thinking the head gaskets are going bad and the cylinder pressure is escaping. Doesn't over heat but I've noticed the coolant has been going low every other week.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get them off have them looked at first, it doesn't take much to crack a Vortec head.

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a compression test help in this situation?

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really, hooking up a constant air supply and tracking down where it's coming out from would help narrow down what and where it's broke.

OP
OP
U

uli93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm guessing the heads on it now are cracked really bad you could hear the pressure coming out . Seriously. Well I had some used heads re surfaced and re sealed new valves and all that good stuff . I'm spending my Saturday putting it back together . Beers and wrenches lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
revrae