Has GMC Denali Name become too common?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gonatee

Reaction score
To me it is still an $80k truck. Honestly, $80k really isn't what it was 10 years ago. Most large SUV's in basic form are now coming in at $60K+. The Denali trim level does offer a lot of nice amenities bumping the price up to $80k sticker. However, I feel most of us saved 10% or better off that. Take a look at it's competition- Lincoln Navigator and even the new Expedition. Same ballpark.
Heck there is nothing I would even waste my time looking at for under $50K nowadays.
As for performance, I can only imagine you must have gotten a dog. It appears with the other issues it may have been a Friday afternoon Denali. One thing my Denali is, is a beast. For a truck of it's size/weight, people are amazed by the raw power. I can smoke the tires just by punching the throttle. Feather the brake a bit and I feel like a teenager in a Mustang. Pretty impressive out of such a big load of metal. When I first got my Denali, I toyed around with my friend in his 5.7l RAM which is a stronger engine than the 5.3l. I walked him handily every time. Perhaps the low octane fuel is holding you back. I know I had timing issues when I ran 87 octane in mine (once).
I do complain about my Denali...I'm entitled to. But there is still no other vehicle I would choose to own over it. This is one reason I have decided to purchase it once it comes off lease next year. This is something I typically would never do. But there is nothing else out there that interests me for my use and I know exactly what I have in my 2015.

The 2017 denail wont smoke the rear wheels..? At least mine won't. Turn traction control to off but still feels like some limited slip is kicking in and the axles just bang in an out. Actually doesn't sound good at all. Maybe there is a limited slip that can be turned off as well like bmws but I haven't found it. Kinda sucks I really want to do doughnuts in the xl..:)

gonatee

Reaction score
Forgot the other main reason I chose the D over the yukon was the leather. Just feels better. Thicker or somthing..?

gonatee

Reaction score
To me it is still an $80k truck. Honestly, $80k really isn't what it was 10 years ago. Most large SUV's in basic form are now coming in at $60K+. The Denali trim level does offer a lot of nice amenities bumping the price up to $80k sticker. However, I feel most of us saved 10% or better off that. Take a look at it's competition- Lincoln Navigator and even the new Expedition. Same ballpark.
Heck there is nothing I would even waste my time looking at for under $50K nowadays.
As for performance, I can only imagine you must have gotten a dog. It appears with the other issues it may have been a Friday afternoon Denali. One thing my Denali is, is a beast. For a truck of it's size/weight, people are amazed by the raw power. I can smoke the tires just by punching the throttle. Feather the brake a bit and I feel like a teenager in a Mustang. Pretty impressive out of such a big load of metal. When I first got my Denali, I toyed around with my friend in his 5.7l RAM which is a stronger engine than the 5.3l. I walked him handily every time. Perhaps the low octane fuel is holding you back. I know I had timing issues when I ran 87 octane in mine (once).
I do complain about my Denali...I'm entitled to. But there is still no other vehicle I would choose to own over it. This is one reason I have decided to purchase it once it comes off lease next year. This is something I typically would never do. But there is nothing else out there that interests me for my use and I know exactly what I have in my 2015.

Yeah I was thinking fuel could be the issue. Possibly even the Brand vs octane?
I do only run the 91 and have tried different companies like chevron, shell 76. Seems to make a slight difference. Maybe she needs a booster added "which would get old fast" My 96 tahoe runs the best on 87 octane. She sputters on the higher fuel. Also could just b a ecm break-in period thing.
Computer just de-tunes n runs her rich for first 5k miles?

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking fuel could be the issue. Possibly even the Brand vs octane?
I do only run the 91 and have tried different companies like chevron, shell 76. Seems to make a slight difference. Maybe she needs a booster added "which would get old fast" My 96 tahoe runs the best on 87 octane. She sputters on the higher fuel. Also could just b a ecm break-in period thing.
Computer just de-tunes n runs her rich for first 5k miles?

Denalis should only run premium.

PWMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in the day of the old 80s, Oldsmobile cars started putting Cutlass onto just about every vehicle they built. Olds Cutlass Supreme, Olds Cutlass Calais, etc. I feel that GMC is doing the same thing today with the Denali trim.

I have a Yukon XL with Denali trim and a Cutlass 442 clone. Love them both, bought them used and hope to keep them for many years.

20170602_165729.jpg 20171106_145215.jpg

Last edited:

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2017 denail wont smoke the rear wheels..? At least mine won't. Turn traction control to off but still feels like some limited slip is kicking in and the axles just bang in an out. Actually doesn't sound good at all. Maybe there is a limited slip that can be turned off as well like bmws but I haven't found it. Kinda sucks I really want to do doughnuts in the xl..:)
That is crazy indeed. I could spin my OE tires quite effortlessly to the point it was unsafe pulling out. I could literally feather the brake pedal with 6 people onboard and smoke the tires up my 500' driveway. I have the patch marks to prove it. :D The new Michelin's are definitely better but still break lose with a stomp of the accelerator.

Denalis should only run premium.
I use 89 for normal driving and 91+ when towing. I have assumed this is fine.
87 is a definite no. Truck goes into limp mode on 87.

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You only need to make $150k to be in the top 10% of INCOME (not wealth) earners. That’s not nearly enough to consider these vehicles in any sound financial way. Even making 2x that doesn’t get you into the 20% rule for auto purchases. Though maybe a 7 year loan would get months payments below that threshold.

So I agree wholeheartedly with you. Way too many people are signing on the line for things they cannot truly afford. But that’s the American way and none of my damn business lol.
We will gross about $215,000 this year. However, if you factor the value of benefits like stock matching and pensions it's more like $240,000-$250,000. Your average Denali buyer makes 30% less than that. For non-Denali buyers it's about 45% less than what we make. My Denali is in daycare right now ($1,000/month).

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We will gross about $215,000 this year. However, if you factor the value of benefits like stock matching and pensions it's more like $240,000-$250,000. Your average Denali buyer makes 30% less than that. For non-Denali buyers it's about 45% less than what we make. My Denali is in daycare right now ($1,000/month).

Doesn't change anything I said.

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't change anything I said.
Never said it did- just that I don't make 150k. However purchase price is really irrelevant. Cost of ownership (specifically depreciation) matters more and some brands with high stickers could have much lower cost of ownership than a $30,000 sedan, especially if the sedan buyer gets greased by the dealer at purchase. Having said that, this GM platform, and all it's issues, isn't going to bode well in TCO. Hence the reason I won't buy it (whether it molds into your model or not).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879