2007 Yukon Denali Build (This got outta hand really quick...)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've had some bad luck the last 6 months with cars/trucks here in Michigan. We have some really stupid ass drivers here and you really gotta be aggressive and be careful driving. I had a 2013 Ford Taurus SHO PP that I bought new from the dealer. Immediately started modding it and LOVED that car. For those that don't know, it's AWD with an EcoBoost (Twin Turbo 3.5L V6) they love tuning and METH! I made 500hp and 600tq with that thing. It ran a 12.6qtr, tune/intake/exhaust and a 12.1qtr on meth. Sadly I was sitting at a red light in November when a teenager was texting and rear ended me. The SHO had some bad frame damage that could be fixed but I told them I raced the car so they totaled it. I was somewhat ok from that accident except a mild concussion. I purchased a used 2015 Ford Explorer Sport (same motor/drivetrain and paid $10k out of pocket). Most of my performance parts swapped over so I was right back into the low 13 second qtr range right when I bought the truck. I only had it for 6 weeks or so when I was hit by ANOTHER distracted driver in February and that truck was also totaled. Now I have two totaled vehicles and two pretty bad concussions within 3 months... You really can't make this shit up.

Anyways, the state of Michigan and my insurance company wouldn't let me drive an Armored tank and Humvee's are illegal for on road use in Michigan. Bummer... I am DONE buying new cars lol. I found a GEM about 1/2 mile from my house. A 1 owner (65yr+ GM retired) 2007 Yukon Denali with 150k miles. It runs and drives like new and is the Blue/Green Crystal color which I actually like to call bipolar blue lol. I absolutely love it! It honestly drives better than my 2015 Explorer Sport even with the blown out air shocks and air ride non functional!

So, moving on to this build... This was supposed to just be a cheap practical truck to daily drive as now I wont be working for 1 to 3 years apparently due to my concussion. I purchased this truck for $13k and $1,500 of that is going to charity. I feel REALLY good about how good of a deal I got on this truck compared to the condition of the others I've seen. This guy took spectacular care of this thing. The 2nd row has been used maybe a dozen times and the 3rd row has only been in the truck and used once. The current pictures don't do it justice and I will certainly post some new ones when we get some sun here.

I started by putting it up on the lift and making a simple list of items to replace. The obvious stuff like ball joints and U joints. Lucky for me both upper control arms were recently replaced, even lowers looked newer and it has all new brakes. This truck has had a ton of maintenance. I prob spent $800 on maintenance parts like a water pump and alternator and gaskets just because they were original, not needed... April 17th my entire suspension kit will ship from Tony (NorcalSS). Tony hooked me up with a great kit. I wanted more than a 2" spindle so we went with all BellTech 3" spindle and +/- 2" Struts Front, 4" Rear Drop with Belltech shocks, DJM Bars and I also added the entire Spohn adjustable control arm package in RED for the rear. Very exciting stuff happening here....

Thats not even the really exciting part yet. In addition to the suspension that is being delivered this coming week, I am waiting on some LSA supercharger parts. At first I was going to do a VVT Cam swap and try to make 500hp with a cam. After some thought and research, why spend $900 on parts (cam, spring kit) and all that time for a cam install and have a choppy ass idle and possibly need a larger torque converter (lose all bottom end torque) for a bigger cam when you can toss on a LSA blower for $2k +/-?

Thats right... I'm bolting on an LSA blower to my 6.2L, keeping VVT and I'm gonna do it for less than $2,500. Stay tuned, First week of May is gonna be VERY exciting to say the least :) Found a new ZL1 Cover/Intercooler Assembly on EBay from a GM Dealer for $450, usually they go for $560+. I also picked up a set of used CTS V injectors from a buddy for $225 that only have 30k miles on them or so. Eventually I'll break everything down for everyone so you can do your own build if you want.

I did get my Blue AirAid MXP Intake installed, pic below. I didn't bother cleaning up anything else since everything will be torn down in 2 weeks for the LSA install...
20170416151026-946f8d00-me.jpg
Ordered my Kooks 1 7/8" Headers & Catted Y Pipe Kit (found the Y pipe for half off on eBay with no hardware/install kit). I will just add some V bands and call it a day. I think I'll probably just replace the factory muffler with a Magnaflow 12909, not sure yet... My 6yr is gonna hate me for sure. She is scared shitless of my 67 Camaro when it was N/A making 700hp (282/288 .700 lift duration cam lol). Comments and suggestions welcome. Thank you all, sorry for the rambling, my head is freaking Jacked! lol I will keep a detailed list of parts and pics when it comes time for the LSA install as I know lots of people are interested.

Heres a few pics I took today, the glare was pretty bad and sun wasn't cooperating very well...

20170416151825-4ead7c31-me.jpg
Can't wait to get it dropped... Biggest I will go on wheel size is 22". Leaning towards the Black GMC Replica from Tony in a 285/45/22. Big pot holes here in Michigan ;-)

20170416151437-f64eb108-me.jpg
Eventually I will get rid of stripes and body color door handles or black all the chrome.... I love how the color shifts from straight blue to green in different light.

20170416152554-67748ca1-me.jpg
It even fits nicely backed into my garage with my wifes Terrain Denali (lease). Previous owner attached the chrome bugsheild with adhesive tape as well as the clamps... Detail shop didnt want to remove it because they were worried about removing paint. I don't love it, but don't hate it. I guess I might have to wait to remove it until I'm ready for a fresh coat of paint. Not too sure if I want to risk peeling paint off my hood. I have yet to investigate...

20170416152227-737839e5-me.jpg

Last picture you will see of this truck stock. Over the next 3 weeks this truck will go through a major transformation. I will try to keep you all posted as much as possible...

Last edited:

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
Color is definitely unique, plans for next mod?

Sent from iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
67RS427

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Color is definitely unique, plans for next mod?

Sent from iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro
As mentioned, the next 3 weeks will be pretty insane, I've got packages coming left and right... Suspension is going on first and LSA getting installed right after, all should be done in about 2.5 weeks. Then I need to tackle the wheels and tires and exterior chrome. I don't like the beige interior, honestly a complete color change is in order but not this year. I'd be interested in a headlight upgrade asap as well as fog lights. Not sure what else besides a head unit upgrade to add apple play and android auto. I've got a dual gauge pod coming for the A pillar for my dual Boost/AFR and other AFR gauge. Not sure what else at the moment, I've got a huge spread sheet started...

Edit: *Should mention my very first "mod" was an OEM Escalade FOB & I gotta say I love it lol. All the buttons work including the glass pop, remote start and hatch. I have a Batman sticker on the back of it from @Burbin, I'll post a pic. He also gave me a Denali & an extra GMC one, totally hooked me up. I purchased a knock off FOB from eBay that I just got and it has a flat back, not indented for the sticker. Haven't tried to program it yet to work with the OEM one.

Last edited:

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice find. Get the heat gun out and get rid of the bug shield.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
67RS427

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice find. Get the heat gun out and get rid of the bug shield.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
Certainly plan on it... as I mentioned, haven't really had time to investigate yet. I will take a look this week. I'm just going off what the detail shop told me and what I saw real quick while I installed the intake.

On a separate note, any idea why the rear wind deflectors are held on with metal clamps on each end under the window trim? I've never seen that before... Anyone else have them? I'll try to find or take a new pic

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy who sold it to me said they only made it for two years, not sure if thats true... I didn't know it existed. I love it, blue is my color. My 67 Camaro is blue :)
It may have only been offered on the GMT900 denali for 2 years.
The previous generation denali was also offered in that color. In fact it was that exact color i had wanted for my car. That was my top color choice as it is my favorite color as well. But i couldn't find any in that color anywhere near me. Lol.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
korzone

Latest posts