Has GMC Denali Name become too common?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leases are best on cars with the lowest depreciation. Not sure where GM's sit on the spectrum
I don't know though. A lease on my 4Runner Limited seemed pretty high . If I sold it right now, my cost of ownship over the last 56 months is $360/month pre-tax roughly... depending what I sell it for of course. I just checked online and a 4 and 5yr lease is $675 and $625 pre-tax respectively. Of course you could haggle that down but it's still a vary wide gap as I know a $50,000 4Runner will still be worth somewhere around $30,000 in 4-5 years.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know though. A lease on my 4Runner Limited seemed pretty high . If I sold it right now, my cost of ownship over the last 56 months is $360/month pre-tax roughly... depending what I sell it for of course. I just checked online and a 4 and 5yr lease is $675 and $625 pre-tax respectively. Of course you could haggle that down but it's still a vary wide gap as I know a $50,000 4Runner will still be worth somewhere around $30,000 in 4-5 years.

A lease is the depreciation + fees + tax /number of months.

They make it very complicated but ultimately that’s essentially all it is.

gonatee

Reaction score
I want to take the denali badging off and wrap all the chrome trim in black cause it feels too flashy. Only got it for the engine which was probably a mistake. It's not that great of a vehicle and like most of the new car companies built to fail within three years.
Had a 16 yukon xl for awhile now a 17 denali. It's definaly not a 80k dollar truck and i'm actually disappointed about quite a few things.. Ride quality is rough, dim or angled wrong low beam headlights, gearing between 4 and 5 too wide ranged, ac doesn't keep it cool in the summer, stereo in the yukon sounds better, rattling window buttons, whistling windows, the auto rain sense only works for a few minutes
and the manual timming on the wipers is too fast or too slow. The door lines don't line up and actually the 5.3l felt like it had a lot more pep. The 6.1 xl drives like turd unless you pedal down and blow a bunch of over taxed fuel. Speaking of fuel all the numbers on these things are based of 93 octane. Good luck finding that west of the rockies.
All in all way overpriced but compared to other new vehicles i've had it's pretty awesome. I plan on keeping her for 40k miles max then selling it hopefully before things start failing. Sad it's come to this with most everything consumable these days. Will probably be looking into a lease next time.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lease is the depreciation + fees + tax /number of months.

They make it very complicated but ultimately that’s essentially all it is.
You're also paying interest on the unpaid lease balance as well as the "balloon payment" represented by the residual value of the car upon turn-in.

Leasing can definitely be economical, since a lot of car companies subsidize lease deals to improve volume (BMW specifically, though not so much right at this moment). A couple years ago, you could lease a 328i that was about to be replaced by a new design generation for around $349/month all in, with nothing out of pocket.

My last car before the Tahoe was a 5 series that I leased for about $629/month for 3 years/30K miles, again with nothing out of pocket.

I've tried it a couple times and don't prefer it - I hate driving around stressing about mileage and wear & tear.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're also paying interest on the unpaid lease balance as well as the "balloon payment" represented by the residual value of the car upon turn-in.

Leasing can definitely be economical, since a lot of car companies subsidize lease deals to improve volume (BMW specifically, though not so much right at this moment). A couple years ago, you could lease a 328i that was about to be replaced by a new design generation for around $349/month all in, with nothing out of pocket.

My last car before the Tahoe was a 5 series that I leased for about $629/month for 3 years/30K miles, again with nothing out of pocket.

I've tried it a couple times and don't prefer it - I hate driving around stressing about mileage and wear & tear.

I'm not familiar with havng to pay the 'balloon payment' isnt that just the purchase price that you can buy the car for at the end of the lease?

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with havng to pay the 'balloon payment' isnt that just the purchase price that you can buy the car for at the end of the lease?
It's not exactly a balloon payment, it's just the value of the car at the time you turn it in - which is also what you can buy the car for at that point if you choose. It's called "residual value." In any case, you are paying interest on it during the lease.

Also, to get a low lease payment you want the residual to be high. But then the payoff deal on the car at lease-end is also high and it makes less sense to do that.

There are an infuriating amount of leasing levers; people on the BMW board obsess over it.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not exactly a balloon payment, it's just the value of the car at the time you turn it in - which is also what you can buy the car for at that point if you choose. It's called "residual value." In any case, you are paying interest on it during the lease.

Also, to get a low lease payment you want the residual to be high. But then the payoff deal on the car at lease-end is also high and it makes less sense to do that.

There are an infuriating amount of leasing levers; people on the BMW board obsess over it.

Yeah, I think the key is to decide, up front, whether you want to buy it at the end or walk away from it. Then you know where to focus your negotiating attention. But yeah, its confusing. I've never really been interested in doing it.

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to take the denali badging off and wrap all the chrome trim in black cause it feels too flashy. Only got it for the engine which was probably a mistake. It's not that great of a vehicle and like most of the new car companies built to fail within three years.
Had a 16 yukon xl for awhile now a 17 denali. It's definaly not a 80k dollar truck and i'm actually disappointed about quite a few things.. Ride quality is rough, dim or angled wrong low beam headlights, gearing between 4 and 5 too wide ranged, ac doesn't keep it cool in the summer, stereo in the yukon sounds better, rattling window buttons, whistling windows, the auto rain sense only works for a few minutes
and the manual timming on the wipers is too fast or too slow. The door lines don't line up and actually the 5.3l felt like it had a lot more pep. The 6.1 xl drives like turd unless you pedal down and blow a bunch of over taxed fuel. Speaking of fuel all the numbers on these things are based of 93 octane. Good luck finding that west of the rockies.
All in all way overpriced but compared to other new vehicles i've had it's pretty awesome. I plan on keeping her for 40k miles max then selling it hopefully before things start failing. Sad it's come to this with most everything consumable these days. Will probably be looking into a lease next time.

To me it is still an $80k truck. Honestly, $80k really isn't what it was 10 years ago. Most large SUV's in basic form are now coming in at $60K+. The Denali trim level does offer a lot of nice amenities bumping the price up to $80k sticker. However, I feel most of us saved 10% or better off that. Take a look at it's competition- Lincoln Navigator and even the new Expedition. Same ballpark.
Heck there is nothing I would even waste my time looking at for under $50K nowadays.
As for performance, I can only imagine you must have gotten a dog. It appears with the other issues it may have been a Friday afternoon Denali. One thing my Denali is, is a beast. For a truck of it's size/weight, people are amazed by the raw power. I can smoke the tires just by punching the throttle. Feather the brake a bit and I feel like a teenager in a Mustang. Pretty impressive out of such a big load of metal. When I first got my Denali, I toyed around with my friend in his 5.7l RAM which is a stronger engine than the 5.3l. I walked him handily every time. Perhaps the low octane fuel is holding you back. I know I had timing issues when I ran 87 octane in mine (once).
I do complain about my Denali...I'm entitled to. But there is still no other vehicle I would choose to own over it. This is one reason I have decided to purchase it once it comes off lease next year. This is something I typically would never do. But there is nothing else out there that interests me for my use and I know exactly what I have in my 2015.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me it is still an $80k truck. Honestly, $80k really isn't what it was 10 years ago. Most large SUV's in basic form are now coming in at $60K+. The Denali trim level does offer a lot of nice amenities bumping the price up to $80k sticker. However, I feel most of us saved 10% or better off that. Take a look at it's competition- Lincoln Navigator and even the new Expedition. Same ballpark.
Heck there is nothing I would even waste my time looking at for under $50K nowadays.
As for performance, I can only imagine you must have gotten a dog. It appears with the other issues it may have been a Friday afternoon Denali. One thing my Denali is, is a beast. For a truck of it's size/weight, people are amazed by the raw power. I can smoke the tires just by punching the throttle. Feather the brake a bit and I feel like a teenager in a Mustang. Pretty impressive out of such a big load of metal. When I first got my Denali, I toyed around with my friend in his 5.7l RAM which is a stronger engine than the 5.3l. I walked him handily every time. Perhaps the low octane fuel is holding you back. I know I had timing issues when I ran 87 octane in mine (once).
I do complain about my Denali...I'm entitled to. But there is still no other vehicle I would choose to own over it. This is one reason I have decided to purchase it once it comes off lease next year. This is something I typically would never do. But there is nothing else out there that interests me for my use and I know exactly what I have in my 2015.
+1. Those experiences seem abnormal to me, my truck (a Tahoe, not a Denali) is dead silent almost all the time. There is a creak in the media/HVAC stack I can't get rid of, but it comes and goes and there's a much worse one in my wife's C300. No mechanical issues at all at 21,000 miles.

Any person can claim that the 6.2 in the Denali "drives like a turd" but realize that all of the data and virtually all of the market opinion isolates you in that viewpoint. Or maybe there is something wrong with your truck.

If I totaled this truck I would go right out and buy another, though I'd probably drive a new Expedition too, just to see.

Last edited:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple things that come to mind.
Back in the day all one had to say was GT and everyone knew what that was= Mustang GT.
I have heard guys at shows refer to their Mercedes' as merely AMG's.
I mentioned before that when I went to Pontiac G8 meets, there were guys that referred to their cars as GXP's.
And one of my favorite cars, and I'm dating myself, was none other than the IROC. No one said Chevrolet Z28 IROC.

And yes, the Yukon was the first Denali.
Loved my IROC... and yes i was an ‘Italian Retard Out Cruising’

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihtblzr