Has GMC Denali Name become too common?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A barber asked me one day what I drove, I replied, a Yukon. He sees my truck and says, that’s a Denali.

Now he's going to expect a bigger tip from you! LOL

A couple things that come to mind.
Back in the day all one had to say was GT and everyone knew what that was= Mustang GT.

And one of my favorite cars, and I'm dating myself, was none other than the IROC. No one said Chevrolet Z28 IROC.

And from those days old man everyone also knew that LX meant the lightweight mustang 5.0 and T/A meant referred to the Pontiac Trans AM.

An uncle, in his 80s, is still driving around in his '88 WS-6; remember the whiskey six? RPO codes as names is cool too. L96, LT1 1LE, etc.

How about TPI - Tuned Port Injection or SFI - Sequential Fuel Injection

And who could forget the T-Tpe, GN and GNX?

And used before, during and since, too many to mention, cars using RS and SS.

cekkk

Reaction score
I live where my Denali XL is at the low end of the totem pole. As is DWs King Ranch. Mabach is the median. I can afford them, but not all can. You might be surprised at the number of $3M+ homes in default. You can almost tell who is in over their heads by their attitude. Generally, they are the snooty ones. Lol

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One look at the GMC website shows that they are trying to establish "Denali" as a sub-brand beyond a trim level. There is a button for "Denali Line" at the same page design level as "Trucks" and "Crossovers."

It's not really working. In practice "Denali" really is just an options package. Granted, it contains a few options not available on a non-Denali truck inside or outside of a package, but not many, and those that are are all on the Yukon/Sierra. There's a Denali version of the Terrain that I believe is nothing more than trim.

Like someone said a few pages back, Denali doesn't compare to BMW's M division or Mercedes' AMG division; those are bespoke renditions of other cars within the line and have substantial mechanical differences. "M-Sport" would probably be a better BMW parallel to Denali.

Last edited:

bayviewnick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can afford my Yukon Denali. I wrote a check that prepaid my entire lease for the entire team of the lease.

Nice that you were able to pay the lease up front but experience tells me there will be more when surrendered. They expect leases back as you took them. They will go over it and list all you owe them. Worn tires (mine had over half tread left and were deemed 'worn out'. They attempted to charge me for a new set), all scratches on paint or glass, interior wear or dirt etc. will be compensated for. Thankfully for me, it was only the tires which was ultimately waived as I demanded the set currently on my return for which they tried a substitute but as I photographed the serial numbers in front of them, they were caught dead to rights and backed off. (Just so all know, that dealership is no longer).

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One look at the GMC website shows that they are trying to establish "Denali" as a sub-brand beyond a trim level. There is a button for "Denali Line" at the same page design level as "Trucks" and "Crossovers."

It's not really working. In practice "Denali" really is just an options package. Granted, it contains a few options not available on a non-Denali truck inside or outside of a package, but not many, and those that are are all on the Yukon/Sierra. There's a Denali version of the Terrain that I believe is nothing more than trim.

Like someone said a few pages back, it can't compare to BMW's M division or Mercedes' AMG division; those are bespoke renditions of other cars within the line and have substantial mechanical differences. "M-Sport" would probably be a better BMW parallel to Denali.

right. Or the S sport (not the 'S') in audi.

Nice that you were able to pay the lease up front but experience tells me there will be more when surrendered. They expect leases back as you took them. They will go over it and list all you owe them. Worn tires (mine had over half tread left and were deemed 'worn out'. They attempted to charge me for a new set), all scratches on paint or glass, interior wear or dirt etc. will be compensated for. Thankfully for me, it was only the tires which was ultimately waived as I demanded the set currently on my return for which they tried a substitute but as I photographed the serial numbers in front of them, they were caught dead to rights and backed off. (Just so all know, that dealership is no longer).

I prefer to buy my vehicles but the GM leasing policy seems reasonable. Certainly not an expectation that they come back brand new it seems...Not denying your experience but they they were clearly in the wrong.

https://www.gmfinancial.com/finance-options/excess-wear-and-tear.aspx

Last edited:

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lease rates on GM seem very high. When you compare leasing and the residual/buyout vs. Buying/financing the vehicle outright, it is several thousand dollars difference minimum. Doesn't seem to make sense to lease.... regardless of tax write offs (unless you bend the rules on personal vs business use).

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lease rates on GM seem very high. When you compare leasing and the residual/buyout vs. Buying/financing the vehicle outright, it is several thousand dollars difference minimum. Doesn't seem to make sense to lease.... regardless of tax write offs (unless you bend the rules on personal vs business use).

Leases are best on cars with the lowest depreciation. Not sure where GM's sit on the spectrum

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live where my Denali XL is at the low end of the totem pole. As is DWs King Ranch. Mabach is the median. I can afford them, but not all can. You might be surprised at the number of $3M+ homes in default. You can almost tell who is in over their heads by their attitude. Generally, they are the snooty ones. Lol

Yep. Generally snooty people are having trouble and or are insecure. I don’t care who you are or where you came from I’ll still buy you a beer. Doesn’t matter what you drive or own... as long as you can contribute to a good conversation we’re good.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HSK76