Has GM fixed the buffeting and vibration issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Yukon SLE is a early 2015 model year build:
Since having my vehicle at the dealer in January 2015 (19 Days) the service department has completed the roof cross member re-attachment, road force balanced, alignment, new drive shaft, then new wheels and tires. The pressure/thumping noise was heard by the technicians and the service manager after all of the above things were done. The vehicle was back at the dealer in February 2015 for 11 days. The dealer had the zone area service manager come and drive the vehicle, he felt the pressure. Then the service concern was escalated with GM service and an engineer was assigned to the case. He came out and drove the vehicle with me and the service manager. He heard the thumping and felt the pressure. As soon as we got back, he contacted the plant in TX and had a new Ring and Pinion sent directly to the dealership. After the tech replaced the ring and pinion the thumping/pressure is basically gone. The old ring and Pinion had excessive wear and uneven wear on the teeth. The engineer decided to put a set of Michelin tires on due to some road noise/drone after everything else. They are still dealing with one related issue. When switching into Auto 4WD or 4WD High, the thumping/pressure concerns come back. The tech and engineer are going to check the front axle and transfer case next week. I have to tell you that the service dept. and the GM technical service group have been very helpful and have been trying to attack the issues. I will update again after they investigate the Transfer Case/Front axle issues....... They replaced the front Ring and Pinion and all the thumping/pressure went away. I haven't had any issues since February 2015........... Alex

interesting...We had the rear ring and pinion replaced in ours about 20k miles ago and I noticed lately that it's starting to whine again. We had the new wheels and tires installed at the same time so I really couldn't say whether or not it assisted in reducing the buffeting/vibration.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had two 2015 Tahoes, a 2016 Tahoe and a 2017 Tahoe and have not had an issue with any of them. In fact I just ordered another 2017 Tahoe. Best trucks that I gave ever owned bar none!!

Count yourself fortunate...although, the SWB doesn't seem to have the problems like the extended versions.

There's a reason it is has the highest number of "buy backs" ever by GM. There are way too many dealing with the same issue with these trucks. I wish we had better luck with ours as we need the space and there really isn't anything comparable to it currently.

acainindy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'They' come with Bridgestones from the factory, no? And the Bridgestones are terrible. Michelins are fantastic, certainly the 22" Defenders on my '16 Denali have transformed the ride and handling.
Bish
The standard 20" tire is the Continental Contact. The 22" is the Bridgestone Potenza Dueler. My dealer replaced the Continentals with Michelin LTX M/S2 and the ride and noise was almost non-existent

acainindy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting...We had the rear ring and pinion replaced in ours about 20k miles ago and I noticed lately that it's starting to whine again. We had the new wheels and tires installed at the same time so I really couldn't say whether or not it assisted in reducing the buffeting/vibration.

My Yukon has been thru 2 rear Ring and Pinion's. The factory installed and then the one that replaced the factory one. The current one has 30,000 miles on it with no issues.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Yukon has been thru 2 rear Ring and Pinion's. The factory installed and then the one that replaced the factory one. The current one has 30,000 miles on it with no issues.

good to hear...maybe the 3rd one will be the last. lol

Ralph Varick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Tahoe with the vibration....They changed the exhaust system no help.....It started when new last July and now has 9000 miles and still has the vibration...They tell me it is normal and all vehicles have this problem...I am going through the lemon law now...Lot of grief....Buy something else there is no fix

acainindy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Tahoe with the vibration....They changed the exhaust system no help.....It started when new last July and now has 9000 miles and still has the vibration...They tell me it is normal and all vehicles have this problem...I am going through the lemon law now...Lot of grief....Buy something else there is no fix

Read my previous post. There is a fix, once the dealer completes the service, your vehicle will be the best one you've ever owned!

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read my previous post. There is a fix, once the dealer completes the service, your vehicle will be the best one you've ever owned!

not sure that's the case...in addition to our buffeting/vibrating/booming issues, we have a tranny oil leak and oil leak (bad hose) as well as bad upper and lower control-arms all at 50k miles! My dealer is telling me that they've seen a lot of these truck with bad control arms at low miles. maybe the 16/17s are improved but I'm starting to lose hope with our MY 15.

mlgreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. That's a nice looking vehicle. A little more competition in this market should provide some much-needed incentive.
Agreed. With Jeep jumping into the full size SUV market and the Expedition redesign looking promising maybe GM will offer the 8 speed and HID headlights as standard instead of having to jump to a $73k plus model.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am currently in a new 16(late build 2016) rental yukon shorty slt w/less than 10k miles and it has the buffeting/pressure issue worse than our 15 XL.

2wd
18" wheels

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645