Has GM fixed the buffeting and vibration issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gdwheel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just purchased a '17 Suburban Premier 4WD with the 22 inch wheels. I took it for a long test drive at varying speeds with my wife in the truck. Fortunately, it does not have any of these issues, but it was good to know what to look for from this and the other forums. It is a great vehicle.

gary645

Reaction score
Have a 2015i Denali and at 22k have had none of the reported issues. The tires are 20" Continental which came on the truck. If I open a back window at highway speeds I get the buffeting. With windows closed and the sunroof raised still no problems. When I took delivery I applied silicone rubber sealer to all of the door and lift gate gaskets. If you are having problems - this would be worth a try. Simple, easy and inexpensive. Might even work?

acainindy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a 2015i Denali and at 22k have had none of the reported issues. The tires are 20" Continental which came on the truck. If I open a back window at highway speeds I get the buffeting. With windows closed and the sunroof raised still no problems. When I took delivery I applied silicone rubber sealer to all of the door and lift gate gaskets. If you are having problems - this would be worth a try. Simple, easy and inexpensive. Might even work?

The buffeting/booming we are talking about happens with the windows up! It's caused by the stiffness of the chassis, suspension and body creating harmonics at frequencies that effect the inner ear of some drivers. What fixed mine was: Roof Crossmembers re-secured, change to Michelin tires, new drive shaft, replacement of the front and rear ring and pinion gears. The issue was lessened after each fix, and went away all together with the ring and pinion replacements.

Campingfamco

Reaction score
Sorry to jump on this bandwagon late, but what does the vibration feel like? I ask because at times at highway speeds I feel like one of my wheels is out of balance. I brought it in to the dealer and they said it was normal and they couldn't feel anything. I haven't experienced the buffeting/booming, just a slight vibration.

acainindy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to jump on this bandwagon late, but what does the vibration feel like? I ask because at times at highway speeds I feel like one of my wheels is out of balance. I brought it in to the dealer and they said it was normal and they couldn't feel anything. I haven't experienced the buffeting/booming, just a slight vibration.

Your need to ask the dealer to RoadForce balance all 4 wheels. The issue in question is not a vibration, it's a pressure/booming type issue that you feel in your ears more than anything else.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your need to ask the dealer to RoadForce balance all 4 wheels. The issue in question is not a vibration, it's a pressure/booming type issue that you feel in your ears more than anything else.

There are multiple potential issues including vibration at high speeds (>70). This can happen without any booming/buffeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YukonCpt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought a 17 Denali and have not experienced any of these problems. I have 20's, Continentals. I test drove up to 80mph. Drove car home after purchase from about 6000' elevation to sea level at speeds up to 90 and no problems either.

acainindy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are multiple potential issues including vibration at high speeds (>70). This can happen without any booming/buffeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just re-read my last post and I see that I wasn't clear in my comment. For the member who is having the vibration issues, Road Force balance and remounting the tires 90 or 180 degrees on the wheels have worked for me in the past. In my previous comment, when I said that the issue is buffeting/booming, I ment that was the reason for this thread.

JAGZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2016 Tahoe Z71. Exhaust replaced after 2 weeks. Help vibration and booming. Replaced 4 Goodyears with Goodyears. Slight improvement, nothing significant. Forced Balance. No difference at all. Replaced 2 more tires. No improvement. Engineers came out. Noticed the problem but didn't know what it was. Road forced balanced again but they did not drive after. Dealership and GM Customer Service (who has been involved the entire time) say it now is in line with specs. No way. Round 20 begins Monday. Will mention rings and pension when we talk next. Love the car, but the smoothness of my 2004 Yukon SLT is better.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a 17 Suburban LS with 18" wheels. Approx 800 miles. So far, so good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf