Has GM fixed the buffeting and vibration issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JerryWest_44

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a 2017 Denali but don't want to spend all that $ just hear the annoying buffeting.

1) What's a good way to test drive the Denali to verify if buffeting is a problem?
2) Anyone have a feel for the % of 2017 Tahoe/Yukons/Eskes that have the issue?

acainindy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a 2017 Denali but don't want to spend all that $ just hear the annoying buffeting.

1) What's a good way to test drive the Denali to verify if buffeting is a problem?
2) Anyone have a feel for the % of 2017 Tahoe/Yukons/Eskes that have the issue?

Just get out and drive it on a nice smooth piece of freeway. You will feel the pressure in your ears starting around 45mph and then again around 65mph. Another way to test is putcthe rear windows down, get out on the freeway, and once you're at speed, put them up. If you still get the booming sensation with the windows up, that you had when the windows were down, then you have the issue.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this thread is full of suggestions on this...But dont forget about vibration. 75+ for a couple miles to make sure its not present. If you have a long curving on ramp that you can hit 45+ on, do that too. The ones I've felt it in exhibit it at lower speeds during cornering. Dont fall for the 'oh the tires just have flat spots from sitting on the lot'.

Crabdog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
this thread is full of suggestions on this...But dont forget about vibration. 75+ for a couple miles to make sure its not present. If you have a long curving on ramp that you can hit 45+ on, do that too. The ones I've felt it in exhibit it at lower speeds during cornering. Dont fall for the 'oh the tires just have flat spots from sitting on the lot'.

Crabdog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been a "serial vehicle purchaser" for my entire life. Typically trade vehicles every couple of years. I am 60 years old so that means a lot of vehicles. Although I do believe these issues are more prevalent with this generation of Tahoe's, I can assure you that vibration issues that are NOT tire related can occur in ANY vehicle. I have had issues with a Nissan Maxima and other generation Tahoes. As others have said, the key is to test drive the vehicle at over 75 mph. If it vibrates on the test drive don't buy it. And don't believe the salesman's BS that it is just tire balancing or flat spots. Don't walk, RUN away.

I just purchased a 2017 Tahoe LT 4wd with luxury package sun entertainment and destinations package and max trailering package. MSRP was 63,980 and I got 7,600 off MSRP. This vehicle replaced a similarly equipped 2011 Suburban 4wd lt. I will never forget that the first 3 Suburbans we test drove in 2011 vibrated horribly and had oversized tires. It literally took 4 vevicles before we found one that didn't vibrate. Ended up being a GREAT vehicle with no problems.

During my search for this vehicle, partly because of my experience with the 2011 test drive, and partly because I just don't see the point in all this oversized tire stuff (the ride quality is NOT going to be as good as you decrease profile and the aesthetic improvement is negligible to me), I searched for a vevicle equipped with 18 inch tires. All of the vehicles I found in my local area had "dealership add ons" of 20 inch tires and some type of chrome package.

I ended up test driving one of the vehicles equipped like I wanted except it had 20 inch tires. Not surprisingly the vehicle had a slight vibration. Frankly, I am very "vibration sensitive", so I suspect many folks would not have felt it, but it was a no go for me. I had located 4 vehicles at a dealership 2 hours from me equipped almost (captain chair second row instead of bench seat) like I wanted and with 18 inch tires, and one vehicle exactly like I wanted 2.5 hours from me. I asked my local dealer from whom I had bought my last 2 Tahoe's/suburbans if they could do a dealer swap and they hemmed and hawed and said it would have a big impact on the price.

I immediately called the dealership with the vehicle equipped exactly liked I wanted it and after an unproductive conversation with a salesperson who told me I had to come in to talk price, I ended up with a sales manager with whom I worked out the final price. I told him I would be up the next morning and would purchase the vehicle contingent on the test drive.

Test drive was great and no vibration issues on the way home or at this point 300 miles in. Although I do think these vehicles have this issue much more than they should, you can find one that does not have the issue. As I tell all of my friends that are buying ANY vehicle, you MUST test drive the vehicle at all speeds. Time will tell, but I am optimistic that this tahoe will be the great vehicle that the 7 other tahoe/suburbans we have owned have been.

Phil25101

Reaction score
So as much as this pains me to say, I’ve had my 18’ Tahoe 20 days and 1000 miles and my head is about to explode, the pressure in my ears is so bad that I have constant headaches, feel motion sick all day and wish I knew about this problem before I ordered my truck. I took it into the dealer yesterday, filed complaints with GM, and with the NHSTA. Because my truck has so many GM upgrades, ordered and delivered with them installed my dealer says it will be difficult to determine what is causing it. They also say they never heard of this issue....Hmmmm. I showed them two News reports from ABC and Fox.
Now I’m waiting for the call, “ we can not find the issue”. If so, I can no longer drive it, my wife won’t even get in it after a drive the day we took delivery, it made her sick immediately! WTF

Who has dealt with this recently, need pointers on what to do, or what their fix was. I Love my Hoe, and don’t want to get rid of it.

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The entire K2XX platform apparently has reported issues and is known as the "Chevy Shake." Probably why the T1XX platform is being released sooner with production under way for the 2019 model year (starting with trucks and SUV's to follow a year or 2 later).

MajorJakkov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as much as this pains me to say, I’ve had my 18’ Tahoe 20 days and 1000 miles and my head is about to explode, the pressure in my ears is so bad that I have constant headaches, feel motion sick all day and wish I knew about this problem before I ordered my truck. I took it into the dealer yesterday, filed complaints with GM, and with the NHSTA. Because my truck has so many GM upgrades, ordered and delivered with them installed my dealer says it will be difficult to determine what is causing it. They also say they never heard of this issue....Hmmmm. I showed them two News reports from ABC and Fox.
Now I’m waiting for the call, “ we can not find the issue”. If so, I can no longer drive it, my wife won’t even get in it after a drive the day we took delivery, it made her sick immediately! WTF

Who has dealt with this recently, need pointers on what to do, or what their fix was. I Love my Hoe, and don’t want to get rid of it.

this might be a silly question, but did you even test drive it before you bought it? if so and the vehicle makes you that sick, why did you buy it?

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score

sorry to hear this...I was hoping this was no longer an issue. Do you have any hwy speed vbrations or does is it smooth running?

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this might be a silly question, but did you even test drive it before you bought it? if so and the vehicle makes you that sick, why did you buy it?

many on here have had the same issue and one of two things typically happen...it doesn't develop or become noticeable until miles are logged, or secondly, it's not something you really think of while test driving so it's easily overlooked. Who would ever think a vehicle will make you feel sick when driving, nonetheless in 2018. so unless you are already aware of the issue prior to test drive, it's not something that stands out as an issue. I know with my experience, the first couple times it happened I thought I was becoming ill.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep