Has anyone relocated their rear view mirror?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RDKill321

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The only similar thing I've heard to this is when I was stationed in Hawaii. Beat cops could buy normal vehicles (mainly 4runners) and outfit them as police package personal vehicles. The department would pick up some of the cost of the vehicle, modifications, and maintenance. No police decals, looked completely stock. Being that I am now law enforcement, I have never heard of modifying your personal vehicle for law enforcement use. You can't pull people over in your personal vehicle when you're off duty, and why would you even want to? People impersonate police officers by using red and blues, you're liable to ***** someone and start a chase. If someone does pull over and they file a complaint against you it's just gonna be a lot of bullish!t that won't be worth it. Just can't wrap my head around it, all I can't think of is two words....THAT GUY.

OP
OP
GranPrix

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what do you need police lights for when you are off duty?

Off-duties as in working an off-duty detail/job such as construction on the road, NBA, NFL games, Nascar or anyone who hires the department for extra security. Not off duty as in not working... This is extra "side" work provided to officers by the department during your regular non-work hours

OP
OP
GranPrix

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you want lights in your personal vehicle... opening yourself to being a target. Opening yourself to liability. If you're off duty and you get called in, there is no reason to run code to go pick up your patrol car. If you get called in that much and it requires you to hastily respond, your agency needs to give you a car to take home.

While every state is different, I would definitely read up on the statutes of what defines an emergency vehicle. Just because some small department says they don't have a problem with it, doesn't mean that chief, or sheriff, has any clue what is legally ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been in this career a long time and I'm very familiar with our state laws and department polices, I'm good thanks. Are you in law enforcement?

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been in this career a long time and I'm very familiar with our state laws and department polices, I'm good thanks. Are you in law enforcement?
I am. If your department is contracting duty requiring you to wear a uniform and expect you to take police enforcement actions, they should be providing you with a police vehicle as well.

Add to that if they're calling that duty "off duty" they're setting you up for personal liability that I would want absolutely NOTHING to do with. What happens when/if you have to shoot someone. Then you go to court and the DA asks you, "were you on duty?" You, from your statement here, have to say no I wasn't. DA then asks why on earth are you in uniform, carrying a gun, in your personal vehicle. Which happens to be outfitted to look like a police vehicle because you put a bunch of money into. They're going to paint you out to be a "cowboy". Again, not something I want to have to answer to in front of a judge or jury after shit hits the fan.

nathanhanover

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I want to drop the rear view mirror about an inch or two but i'm afraid it wont adhere correctly. I did this on another car it didn't hold up. Has anyone else done this?
I saw it done in a dodge van once. If I recall there was a special glue for this at the auto parts store. Some people put those clip on larger mirrors that give add angles for this problem.

OP
OP
GranPrix

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am. If your department is contracting duty requiring you to wear a uniform and expect you to take police enforcement actions, they should be providing you with a police vehicle as well.

Add to that if they're calling that duty "off duty" they're setting you up for personal liability that I would want absolutely NOTHING to do with. What happens when/if you have to shoot someone. Then you go to court and the DA asks you, "were you on duty?" You, from your statement here, have to say no I wasn't. DA then asks why on earth are you in uniform, carrying a gun, in your personal vehicle. Which happens to be outfitted to look like a police vehicle because you put a bunch of money into. They're going to paint you out to be a "cowboy". Again, not something I want to have to answer to in front of a judge or jury after shit hits the fan.

That's awesome, another brother in blue! Well as you may know in a perfect world and in a perfect department (which does not exist), then yes they should provide me a take home but they don't.

The words "off duty" is used around here as jargon amongst POs reference working extra duty jobs on the side provided via the department. So no, the department, is not calling it an "off duty", they call it extra duty. Mistake on my part using our own jargon on this site thinking you guys would know what I was referring to. In my department we are not allowed to work any extra side jobs police related with out the department's prior knowledge or approval. Actually it just doesn't happen. With the amount of extra side work (off-duties) they provide there's no need to. I believe the term "off-duties" came about because it was paid police services in addition to our regular shifts. In other words working the gigs during our "off-duty" hours.

If this was a witch hunt at trying to find a "whacker" or a wannabe cop posing with his PPV Tahoe then you guys need to look elsewhere. I didn't know I was going to get the 3rd degree on here by simply asking a rear view mirror question but I am more than happy to clarify for you guys which in actuality I shouldn't have to because it's no ones business.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this was a witch hunt at trying to find a "whacker" or a wannabe cop posing with his PPV Tahoe then you guys need to look elsewhere. I didn't know I was going to get the 3rd degree on here by simply asking a rear view mirror question but I am more than happy to clarify for you guys which in actuality I shouldn't have to because it's no ones business.

When you ask such circumspect questions, it raises everyone's curiosity. I'm also a member of a Crown Victoria forum, and they are really wary of whackers -- I assume that folks are like that anywhere a person could potentially impersonate a LEO. So, yeah, people are going to ask you questions, and be wary of placing police things on a "civilian" vehicle. Seems like you might appreciate that, given your occupation.

The flip side of this is that you don't have to answer.

Just my $0.02.

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious on the lower too, but whatever.

As said earlier, between the pivot point on the mirror, and the one on the other end of the bar on the windshield, you should have plenty or range to adjust.

Not to mention that at any height you can angle it so your eyes are looking back...

I'm the opposite, I always adjust mine up as close to the roof as possible, other wise I feel like it cuts in to my view out the windshield.

Or go back to the 50's and go dash mount with a second mirror. :)

hunter51dash.jpg

A...., or B.....?

263522d1376602771-dash-mount-rear-view-rearview.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn