Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont think the L9H has AFM but still has VVT. L9H is down on compression from the L92/L94. *best* non AFM/VVT 6.2 would be an LS3 but still commanding big $$.
doing the delete while on a stand is pretty simple, any of those engines are probably getting up there with mileage now a days anyway, couldnt hurt for a little freshening up

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Randy is correct, the L9H did not have AFM at all. My information shows 10.5:1 compression for it and it had VVT. Easily deleted and a too much hassle to retrofit a truck that didn't have it versus the gains you'd get.

What are you waiting for?

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont think the L9H has AFM but still has VVT. L9H is down on compression from the L92/L94. *best* non AFM/VVT 6.2 would be an LS3 but still commanding big $$.
doing the delete while on a stand is pretty simple, any of those engines are probably getting up there with mileage now a days anyway, couldnt hurt for a little freshening up

I'm fine with VVT cuz it's easier and cheaper to delete than AFM. Out of the 6.0s, it looks like I need to look for an LY6 or L96 (unless I wanna ditch Flexfuel). As for the 6.2s, L92 and L99 have AFM and the LS3 is outta the question! So it looks like my target 6.2 is the L92 and L9H. I've found plenty of low-mileage take-outs on car-part, but I'm at least gonna replace the external seals as cheap insurance against leaks. Like you said- it's all so easy when it's on a stand.

Randy is correct, the L9H did not have AFM at all. My information shows 10.5:1 compression for it and it had VVT. Easily deleted and a too much hassle to retrofit a truck that didn't have it versus the gains you'd get.

What are you waiting for?

Right- we discussed retrofitting (well, NOT retrofitting!) mine to have the VVT in that other person's thread. I like higher compression and I plan to add a small performance cam to whatever I get. I'm just trying to avoid pulling the heads. Popping off the rockers to swap the push rods and cam is a cinch.

What am I waiting for? I'm waiting for the bigger priorities to be handled. As much as I wanna use the cash I got from selling that built trans to order a motor right now, I have to pay off some stuff first.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What am I waiting for?

No, I meant that more important announcement! hehehe

The L92 had AFM hardware but was not active in the tune. Stick with the L9H or L96, bigger is better. The L9H in a 2WD truck like yours is going to run! 403 horses stock! The L96 is 352hp if it came out of a 2500.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I meant that more important announcement! hehehe

The L92 had AFM hardware but was not active in the tune. Stick with the L9H or L96, bigger is better. The L9H in a 2WD truck like yours is going to run! 403 horses stock! The L96 is 352hp if it came out of a 2500.

About $1,000 price difference between almost any 6.2 and 6.0. I may have to go with the L96. But, if I get the L96, I'd be getting a performance cam so I'd be $500+ back towards that $1,000 difference. I think it'd pay off to save up a few hundred more and have the 400 horsies bone stock.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, something happened so I'm adding it to the thread.

The battery died on Jenn last night in the garage and I couldn't do anything cuz I'm working out of town again. She had her friend's dad jump it off this morning so she could bring the sqirls to school and get a battery on the way to work. The timing and logistics worked out great cuz O'Reilly was along her route and they were open and able to replace the battery for her to still make it to work 15 minutes early. So, it now has a Super Start Premium juicing it up.

The previous battery was an Interstate of unknown age. It's always started just fine but I've never sat and ran accessories with the engine off. I've always gotten good service from the Super Start batteries and they didn't charge her to replace it, so I'm content. She said they even cleaned the cable ends before reconnecting them. Y'all know I'm gonna double-check the security of the hold-down hardware and terminals when I get back, though. ;)

Next update: Tires and maybe 2/1 lift?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Well, something happened so I'm adding it to the thread.

The battery died on Jenn last night in the garage and I couldn't do anything cuz I'm working out of town again. She had her friend's dad jump it off this morning so she could bring the sqirls to school and get a battery on the way to work. The timing and logistics worked out great cuz O'Reilly was along her route and they were open and able to replace the battery for her to still make it to work 15 minutes early. So, it now has a Super Start Premium juicing it up.

The previous battery was an Interstate of unknown age. It's always started just fine but I've never sat and ran accessories with the engine off. I've always gotten good service from the Super Start batteries and they didn't charge her to replace it, so I'm content. She said they even cleaned the cable ends before reconnecting them. Y'all know I'm gonna double-check the security of the hold-down hardware and terminals when I get back, though. ;)

Next update: Tires and maybe 2/1 lift?

Sqirls. Lol.

Edit after a little thought.... Needs a U and a Z. Just to keep it hip. My .02

Squirlz.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got Jenn a car last weekend so the Tahoe's mine again. It was due for it's 5,000-mile service so I had it on jack stands in the shop with the wheels off. Since I no longer have to rush to get it back together for kid transit service, I took my time and decided to see how difficult it would be to install those 2" front lift spacers I've had for a few months. Completing one side prompted me to finish it out with the other side, which prompted me to install the 1.5" wheel spacers (studs needed to be trimmed about 5/16"-3/8"), which prompted me to install the 1" rear spacers. It rolled in the shop for an oil change and tire rotation and rolled out with a 2/1 lift and 3" wider stance. Time to get those all-terrains on now.

No before and after pics cuz it was a spur-of-the-moment idea

Quick and easy 2" front lift. I don't care much for the Grade5 hardware, but I'll be headed to a hardware store soon and Grade8 stuff is on that shopping list:

IMG_4232.JPG

Tahoe's been in my possession again for less than 24 hours at this point and I've already taken my scalpel to it. I'll round off/dress up and cold-galvanize the stud tips later:

IMG_4231.JPG

Hubcentric wheel spacer installed:

IMG_4233.JPG

Quick-and-dirty, half-assed cell pic:

IMG_4234.JPG

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
Got Jenn a car last weekend so the Tahoe's mine again. It was due for it's 5,000-mile service so I had it on jack stands in the shop with the wheels off. Since I no longer have to rush to get it back together for kid transit service, I took my time and decided to see how difficult it would be to install those 2" front lift spacers I've had for a few months. Completing one side prompted me to finish it out with the other side, which prompted me to install the 1.5" wheel spacers (studs needed to be trimmed about 5/16"-3/8"), which prompted me to install the 1" rear spacers. It rolled in the shop for an oil change and tire rotation and rolled out with a 2/1 lift and 3" wider stance. Time to get those all-terrains on now.

No before and after pics cuz it was a spur-of-the-moment idea

Quick and easy 2" front lift. I don't care much for the Grade5 hardware, but I'll be headed to a hardware store soon and Grade8 stuff is on that shopping list:

View attachment 194838

Tahoe's been in my possession again for less than 24 hours at this point and I've already taken my scalpel to it. I'll round off/dress up and cold-galvanize the stud tips later:

View attachment 194839

Hubcentric wheel spacer installed:

View attachment 194840

Quick-and-dirty, half-assed cell pic:

View attachment 194841
Looks good [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk Pro

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great! Yours, in my eyes because of its color, also looks great slightly lowered. Our RC 2 inch level came in Saturday, just need time now. Don't forget the alignment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645