Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One trick I found for us guys who are of high mileage and or old age, either use a foot stool, shower chair, 5 gal bucket, or whatever is the same height as the floor of your truck. Set it right outside of the door and sit on it, then lay back under the dash. Thank me later.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One trick I found for us guys who are of high mileage and or old age, either use a foot stool, shower chair, 5 gal bucket, or whatever is the same height as the floor of your truck. Set it right outside of the door and sit on it, then lay back under the dash. Thank me later.

I just pictured the mechanics of this... simple and brilliant.

I used to just zip off the nuts and take the whole seat out of my S10 when I would be working under the dash for a while. A seat outside would've accomplished essentially the same thing.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made some sort of progress so I guess I should use it to update my thread. A few weeks ago I had it tuned by Futral Motorsports mainly just to disable AFM and the rear O2 sensors. Included in the package were a few other small tweaks such as trans line pressure, reduction of Torque Management and removed speed limiter. It wasn't a full-on power tune where they tweak the fuel and timing tables, datalog, tweak, etc. which costs $400+. This was just a $150 tune to kill AFM and allow me to run long tube headers with catless Y-pipe. I'll worry about a full tune when I have something worth tuning, something other than the current 182K-mile 5.3.

Since having AFM disabled, the low-RPM rattle in V4 mode is gone and my fuel mileage is averaging .5 MPG lower than before. At $2.40 per gallon, my original 16.2 MPG calculates to 14.8 cents per mile. Without AFM, a mile now costs me 15.3 cents. That's an increase of half a cent per mile and ten cents per average 20-gallon fill-up (I don't run the tank bone dry between fill-ups).

I can afford the extra $1.00 a month to possibly prevent me from having to spend thousands of dollars to repair or replace the engine. Also, if disabling AFM reduces the ~1 quart per month oil consumption even a fraction of a quart, then the savings in the oil costs alone would make up for the drop in MPG in multiples.

Pertinent pic for mildly dramatic effect:

IMG_3277.JPG

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha, no roads around here to get me to that...nice dub, be careful. Well one up by suny new paltz, I had the wifes ‘97 sporty up to 110 one day...cop let me go because he was laughing so hard.... the bike is purple.....

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, no roads around here to get me to that...nice dub, be careful. Well one up by suny new paltz, I had the wifes ‘97 sporty up to 110 one day...cop let me go because he was laughing so hard.... the bike is purple.....

It got there surprisingly quickly. I live in the far suburbs and it was kinda late in the evening on a moslty empty 4-lane highway. I was the only one for a couple of miles. I turned onto the highway and rolled into it. Didn't wanna jab it to the floor cuz I don't know the condition of the trans and I wasn't sure how much they reduced the TM. It pulled satisfactorily until I let off. Funny enough, I was passing State Capitol Raceway around the time I snapped the pic. I'm not one for super high speeds, especially in this brick. I prefer quick acceleration over top speed. So I probably won't be doing this again.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night, Andy's camo Tahoe with those Amazon long tubes ran really well. No leaks, looked great and once he gets some new tires under that thing I'm sure it'll run even faster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep