gmc sierra rear leaf to coil springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saif najd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a friend who is suffering because of the sirra rear suspension and looking for a way to solve it. Looking for a smother ride just like an SUV or the tahoe

Some one told me that we can replace the leafs with the tahoe rear suspension coils and other parts, is it true??

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would need the 4-link and pan hard bar off of it also or do a custom setup, the stock 4-link and pan hard bar will not just bolt up.

stoltz23

Reaction score
its not going to be a direct swap. what year Sierra is it? 1/2 ton i'm assuming? It may be easier to have air bags installed inplace of the leaf springs. that would give an even better ride than coils. I'm sure there is a bolt on setup for 3/4 ton sierra's not sure if anyone makes one for a 1/2 ton thought.

OP
OP
saif najd

saif najd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not going to be a direct swap. what year Sierra is it? 1/2 ton i'm assuming? It may be easier to have air bags installed inplace of the leaf springs. that would give an even better ride than coils. I'm sure there is a bolt on setup for 3/4 ton sierra's not sure if anyone makes one for a 1/2 ton thought.

2009 model 6.0 engine sigle cap

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

You would need the 4-link and pan hard bar off of it also or do a custom setup, the stock 4-link and pan hard bar will not just bolt up.

I see, I tried to search if any did such modification but I couldn't find any can you help me?

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they even use the same frame rails. if they do, then all of the line up holes might be there. go buy a back half frame from a Yukon and carefully cut the brackets off. it would be nice to get the rear end too so you don't have to cut and re weld the brackets on to the sierras axle. I think I would look for an easier solution like going to a 4 link with air bags. Ride Tech has a kit for up to 06 so maybe a phone call wouldn't hurt.

stoltz23

Reaction score
If he has the 6.0 he may have a heavier spring pack in the rear from the factory. Temporarily he could put some weight in the back to make it ride better. A spring shop could also build him some new softer springs though it may lessen his load capaccity

OP
OP
saif najd

saif najd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he has the 6.0 he may have a heavier spring pack in the rear from the factory. Temporarily he could put some weight in the back to make it ride better. A spring shop could also build him some new softer springs though it may lessen his load capaccity

Nice idea do you think that the v6 model have a much lighter spring? I mean flexible

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

I'm not sure if they even use the same frame rails. if they do, then all of the line up holes might be there. go buy a back half frame from a Yukon and carefully cut the brackets off. it would be nice to get the rear end too so you don't have to cut and re weld the brackets on to the sierras axle. I think I would look for an easier solution like going to a 4 link with air bags. Ride Tech has a kit for up to 06 so maybe a phone call wouldn't hurt.

The thing is that we are looking for a direct fit option

gmcultr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Afaik sierra leafs are the same v8 and v6 and the hauling weights are determined by packages, engine, and brakes? I have a 4.8 sierra seems the same as 4.3's i've looked at.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was a direct fit option there would be more linked trucks. Your options are to fabricate (have fabricated) a 4 link rear suspension, or sell the truck and by something that is linked.

OP
OP
saif najd

saif najd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Afaik sierra leafs are the same v8 and v6 and the hauling weights are determined by packages, engine, and brakes? I have a 4.8 sierra seems the same as 4.3's i've looked at.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Worth searching for

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

If it was a direct fit option there would be more linked trucks. Your options are to fabricate (have fabricated) a 4 link rear suspension, or sell the truck and by something that is linked.

Tgis the thing he need a Truck the rear space but he drives on road most of the time thats why we are trying to figure a way to get more flex out of the rear suspension

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SAUDADES333