GM Engineer meeting....mid 1990s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff53

Reaction score
Engineer A: OK, guys, we need to come up with someplace to put the ABS control module on the new GMT800.
Engineer B: I know, let's put it under the hood somewhere where it will be somewhat protected from the elements.
Engineer C: You fool! Do you want to make it easy for the owner to service it if it's necessary? What's wrong with you? Here's an idea....let's put it on the frame under the driver's seat where it can get lots of road debris and water on it? And, also, let's make it hard to get any type of tool in there to remove it!
Engineer A: Sounds like a great idea. Oh, oh....I have an even better idea! Let's use tiny T20 Torx screws to mount it! That way, when the screws start to rust at some point, it will be almost impossible to take the module off and service it...they'll never be able to get a good grip with a T20 bit on those tiny, little screws!
Engineer B: But, shouldn't we consider things like having to service a part and try to make it easier for the owner or their mechanic?
Engineer A and C simultaneously: Shut up you idiot. We don't care if it's easy to service! Besides, what could go wrong with mounting a sensitive electronic device under the vehicle...ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!!!!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engineer A: OK, guys, we need to come up with someplace to put the ABS control module on the new GMT800.
Engineer B: I know, let's put it under the hood somewhere where it will be somewhat protected from the elements.
Engineer C: You fool! Do you want to make it easy for the owner to service it if it's necessary? What's wrong with you? Here's an idea....let's put it on the frame under the driver's seat where it can get lots of road debris and water on it? And, also, let's make it hard to get any type of tool in there to remove it!
Engineer A: Sounds like a great idea. Oh, oh....I have an even better idea! Let's use tiny T20 Torx screws to mount it! That way, when the screws start to rust at some point, it will be almost impossible to take the module off and service it...they'll never be able to get a good grip with a T20 bit on those tiny, little screws!
Engineer B: But, shouldn't we consider things like having to service a part and try to make it easier for the owner or their mechanic?
Engineer A and C simultaneously: Shut up you idiot. We don't care if it's easy to service! Besides, what could go wrong with mounting a sensitive electronic device under the vehicle...ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!!!!
Wouldn't be funny if it wasn’t true.

OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
in all reality it had to be a assembly line thing, but probably could have been done different as seen in the gmt900's and beyond
I guess my biggest gripe is really the T20 Torx. I mean, c'mon, at least give me something I can get a six point socket on, even if it's small.

OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
Potentially stupid question. Let me preface this with the standard "if I was 20 years younger" statement. I'm having a hard time reaching up in there while trying to hold my head off of the garage floor to see what I'm doing. It's almost impossible to get two hands up in there. Can the vehicle be driven without the module attached? If so, I think I may just take it somewhere that has a lift and pay to have them remove it. If I had a lift (or knew someone who did) I might be able to get it off, but I don't. I could have them cover the part that's left behind that's attached to the lines with some plastic before I drove it home, if necessary. I have 4 new stainless steel allen head mounting screws for it, so I could probably get it back on myself.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can the vehicle be driven without the ABS module attached?
Assuming you fab brake lines to 'replace' the ABS module, you'd just be driving without ABS - that's a qualified yes.
It's rarely if ever a serious problem, unless you brake too hard too often.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Potentially stupid question. Let me preface this with the standard "if I was 20 years younger" statement. I'm having a hard time reaching up in there while trying to hold my head off of the garage floor to see what I'm doing. It's almost impossible to get two hands up in there. Can the vehicle be driven without the module attached? If so, I think I may just take it somewhere that has a lift and pay to have them remove it. If I had a lift (or knew someone who did) I might be able to get it off, but I don't. I could have them cover the part that's left behind that's attached to the lines with some plastic before I drove it home, if necessary. I have 4 new stainless steel allen head mounting screws for it, so I could probably get it back on myself.
Sounds like you need to set it all up on jack stands to allow for more room. I don't like to arch my head up for a better view either. Strains my neck muscles. I have 2 thick kneel down pads, about 18" x 24" and I just stack them and settle my head on them. Is actually quite comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts