GM 14 bolt rear-end, worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zerocool420

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know the part number for the u-joint thats require for the conversion, thanks in advance for any replys!

OP
OP
grimm

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Precision 447 if you have a steel drive-shaft. Precision 448 if its aluminum. It's probably steel though. This is all assuming you're converting to a 14 bolt semi float. I don't know if its different for a full floater.

nimrodcs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to brag, but.....

I bought my 14 Bolt SF (6 lug) earlier today. Although, I had to drive 92 miles one-way and pay $375. I still think it was a pretty good deal. It has good 3.73 gears that match my front, so I'm very happy.

I was just looking for anything with a 3.73 ratio to replace my 10 bolt with a bent axle tube and I just ran into the 14 Bolt on craigslist. How crazy is that?

Now, I just have to get that heavy bastard in my truck. :)

Abstrastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FF 14bolts are a dime a dozen in Texas.... I could go pick up a complete 8 lug with detroit and 4.56's for $150 and I don't even have to pull it the jy will do it for me.

nimrodcs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FF 14bolts are a dime a dozen in Texas.... I could go pick up a complete 8 lug with detroit and 4.56's for $150 and I don't even have to pull it the jy will do it for me.

Yeah.....I would think that full floating 8 lugs would be dime a dozen anywhere. I agree, the FF is stronger. But either switching the wheels to 8 lug or doing a 6 lug conversion seems like a pain to me. I guess it depends on what your using it for...

swab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah.....I would think that full floating 8 lugs would be dime a dozen anywhere. I agree, the FF is stronger. But either switching the wheels to 8 lug or doing a 6 lug conversion seems like a pain to me. I guess it depends on what your using it for...

in that case, just find a style of wheel you like that comes in both a 6 and 8 lug, buy 2 of each and youre set.

nimrodcs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in that case, just find a style of wheel you like that comes in both a 6 and 8 lug, buy 2 of each and youre set.

Well, I'm a cheap ass and already like the 6 hole wheels I have, lol. Besides, for all I'm going to be doing, a 14bolt SF is going to be a slight overkill. It'll just give me that piece of mind...

OP
OP
grimm

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nimrodcs :

Wow. You found that at a good price. Let us know how the install goes. 14 Bolt SF's aren't too common around here and if you do find one its either more expensive than it should be or in really bad shape. I've been trying to find a good deal for a while now. Anyways, good stuff man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse

Latest posts