Getting 8.5 mpg need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Oops made a little error in my estimated mpg.

We were going over the results, friend of mine has a Yukon as well and we both have the 6.0 liter engine and we usually get 20-22 mpg without oil. With oil in the fuel tank we get around 30 mpg instead. Although keep in mind these are my reafings a friend of mine and I have got and we were impressed. Just use discresion when trying this.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Confirm 30mpg? Accounting by volume for the oil in the gas too?

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I understanding this right, you fellas are adding engine oil (new) to your fuel tank and getting better gas mileage? Do you guys still have cats on the motors?
Yes. My Yukon still has a catalytic converter on it.

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How very interesting

Let me pester you with 10000 questions [emoji14]

Could you give an MPG number as opposed to a distance per tank value?

Have you noted any buildup in your fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, or injectors?

How do carbon deposits look in the cylinders, exhaust, and intake? Oxygen sensors? Catalytic converter temps? Any noted soot around the exhaust pipe?

Have you had the opportunity to do an oil analysis? What about blowby and leakdown tests? Any extra carbon buildup around the rings?

Does the vehicle use any more or less oil than it did previously?

And lastly: Any change in warmup time?
Seeing as how my vehicle runs fine not really interesting in tearing apart the entire engine and exhaust.

I did disconnect my exhaust as well as check the intake and as stated no soot buildup

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In ending I do want to thank my pal for assisting me with testing. Like I said this isn't for everyone. I have tested this for over a year even in warm weather I have added 15w40 to my tank, and better fuel economy in town or on the highway.

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rule to adding oil to fuel is thinner in winter and thicker in summer.

This was just something I came up with as the Lucas fuel additive does the same thing with an petroleum based oil to increase fuel economy.

In winter I tend to use 5w30. In summer I have tested to 15w40 thickness. Impressive results. The engine runs good, no notice of soot as it doesn't seem to affect how it is burnt. This will lubricate fuel pump, injectors etc. Keep in mind as well that we are taking about adding 1 or 2 liters per 110 liter tank of fuel which really isn't a lot.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Rule to adding oil to fuel is thinner in winter and thicker in summer.

This was just something I came up with as the Lucas fuel additive does the same thing with an petroleum based oil to increase fuel economy.

In winter I tend to use 5w30. In summer I have tested to 15w40 thickness. Impressive results. The engine runs good, no notice of soot as it doesn't seem to affect how it is burnt. This will lubricate fuel pump, injectors etc. Keep in mind as well that we are taking about adding 1 or 2 liters per 110 liter tank of fuel which really isn't a lot.

Very interesting, I'm going to try this shit on my wife's suv first. Lol

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing as how my vehicle runs fine not really interesting in tearing apart the entire engine and exhaust.

I did disconnect my exhaust as well as check the intake and as stated no soot buildup

the soot buildup wouldn't be in your intake as you are injecting oil with fuel not air. you would see buildup on the spark plugs and maybe the valves. Doesn't sound like its getting into the exhaust and is running well so carry on!! LS engines do tend to burn a little oil and still run well.

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Confirm 30mpg? Accounting by volume for the oil in the gas too?
I have measured results again. Yes 30 mpg. Not necessarily everyone is going to get those results but it works. Think about it. Lucas lubricants does the same thing with the fuel stabilizer. Motor oil is cheaper and does the same thing.

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have measured results again. Yes 30 mpg. Not necessarily everyone is going to get those results but it works. Think about it. Lucas lubricants does the same thing with the fuel stabilizer. Motor oil is cheaper and does the same thing.

I have done more testing. Seems my claim at 30 mpg was off. So after checking things my computer system ground wasn't as good.

Then after more trips, I found my fuel economy was around 25 to 27mpg.

Average is closer to 23 mpg.

Did a check of the intake system and it is still clean.

This is of course 2 liters per tank of fuel. An full tank for me is 110 liters. So with only 2 liters of motor oil it isn't a lot.

Next week testing with 30 grade oil as summer weather it can handle it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BattleBorn