Gauges are wacky

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What ground would you check, the one going to the fire wall?
all of them, any-all, clean the battery post's even if they look ok corrosion can hide, you can pull the cluster out in about 5 minutes, check the connector behind it as well, assuming you live in or near any major city a speedo shop can check it out and replace a stepper motor if needed. I would say the average repair is about $80.00 These are pretty good clusters, the previous body style had a bit more problems than these have

OP
OP
blazzinbird

blazzinbird

Reaction score
We live in a very rural area of the county. Im going to start with battery and fire wall

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today my wife told me she believes all but 1 gauge was correct. WTF I haven't messed with it lately.
bad soldering contacts.. possibly it was worked on by someone who did not know what they were doing

OP
OP
blazzinbird

blazzinbird

Reaction score
A local shop is going to hook it up to their snap on tool, and perform some test for me. I will set me back $70, but better than paying $160 for work not needed.

OP
OP
blazzinbird

blazzinbird

Reaction score
So update. Gauge sweep resulted in gauges not returning to zero. All readings are correct via computer, but cluster is erratic. They recommend getting cluster rebuilt. He said he 99.9% sure that will fix the problem

OP
OP
blazzinbird

blazzinbird

Reaction score
After talking to a repair company he told me he has never had a problem with these year stepper motors. Then the fact a lot of gauges are going crazy. Well back to looking at grounds. Maybe get the battery tested.

OP
OP
blazzinbird

blazzinbird

Reaction score
So another update, today I decided to pull the IPC fuse and cleaned it. When I did that the gauges returned to zero when truck was off. Now they seem to be working correctly, so I just put a new fuse in. I dont know if pulling the fuse just reset the gauges or what.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo