Funky Clunking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmberBeauTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First of all, I'm no mechanic so bear with me. I have a 4x4 98 Tahoe. Lately it's been doin this thing when I shift from park to reverse or drive it "clunks" into gear. It goes into gear hard as if it's in 4wd and it's not and you can hear it clunk into gear. The noise sounds like it's comin from the rear end. While driving it shifts kinda hard into 2nd and a little hard into 3rd but not so much. Somethin I noticed before the clunking started is if I'm coasting along down a dirt road or neighborhood(for example) it seems to shift into 2nd later than (I think) it should. There have been times when I either slowed down some to settle the rpm or bumped the gas a little so it'll go ahead and shift to 2nd(which I ride in for a minute cause I don't feel like it's good to let it quickly shift back and forth like that). Checked trans fluid and it was good. Today had the trans fluid changed and the filter changed and it's still clunking. It DOES seem to shift smoother than before when I'm driving; but that park to reverse/drive and vice versa 4wd feelin "clunk" is still there. I'm really hoping I don't need a whole new rear end or transmission. Hopefully it's a simple fix. My husband thinks I'm bein overly watchful so he's kinda dismissing it like it's not a big deal but I know my truck and I know it's not acting normal.

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he said. Check ujoints first. Also, GM did a TSB on the slip yoke. They didn’t use nickel-plated and they wore down quicker than they should have. Check that as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE