front end rebuild question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

juggernaut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hi guys

I'm new to this forum. I bought a 2001 Tahoe LS with 169k on it about 4 months ago one issue is I have no idea what was done to it and what wasnt. the hoe seems to be bone stock except for the shocks they are not the OEM I believe. the truck has been great and I have had fun replacing things on it. so far I have replaced the water pump and fan clutch along with other minor things.

the issue is I need to take care of is my front end and the rear as money permits. I am wondering what I need to replace and what I dont. I know all the bushings and bump stops are bad because the are cracked and rotted bad. I was looking for a kit and there are many but I am leaning towards the Moog kit from rockauto linked below. there are so many kits with various parts it's hard to determine which kit is going to give me the most parts and what I need.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5647077&cc=1371620&jnid=445&jpid=1

my question is it necessary to replace the upper and lower control arm? also would it be better to just do it because I have to change out the bushings for both as it is. also if that kit is a good idea what else would I need parts wise? I do plan on changing out the pitman arms, idler arms and so on. my plan is to do it all at once and get a realignment one time. please help me out her because this is a lot of money for me but I amore than willing to do it. I will be changing out many things as time goes on but this is something that needs to be done very soon I think

thank you

southboundchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you have a floor press to replace the bushings in the control arms buying new arms with ball joints already installed is going to be the easiest time efficient way to go.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know those parts (ball joints, control arm bushings, tie rods, pitman arms, etc need replacing? If so, yes I'd replace those. If so, get the ACDelco professional pitman arm, not any other brand. Not even the ACDelco economy version. They don't fit the same way on the steering gear.

Once you replace all those, check your ride height in the front before getting the alignment. There are specs for this, and it is easy to adjust. You should be able to adjust it with the stock suspension. If your ride height in the front is low, it will reduce the castor and reduce the on-center feel. Raising the ride height to stock should correct this. It made a difference for me anyway.

Larry

OP
OP
J

juggernaut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Larry,

thank you for that. I do know some of the part need to be replaced. I will check the ones I am not sure about before replacing them. I just thought it might be good to do it all seeing as I don't know about the history of the truck. I did buy a Chilton's manual for the Tahoe. will this have the spec for the ride height spec? I saw a thread some where on how to measure that and I will be sure to do so. also thank you for the info on the AC Delco pitman arms. I remembered from previous reading that people were having problems with all the other pitman arms. is the kit I linked a good starting point?

thank you

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you need to replace the control arms, then for sure, do the tie rods, idler and pitman arms. They're cheap at that point. If you search around my posts, you'll find my thread on the pitfalls I ran into and how I solved them.

As for the kit from RockAuto, that seems to have half of what you need anyway. I've never done control arms, and the only ball joint I had go bad was one that was installed by a shop. (That was a horror story....) When I had to replace that ball joint, it wasn't necessary to do the entire control arm.

I just remembered that you may want to change your stabilizer endlinks. They're covered with a plastic cover so you can't see that the metal rod inside is rusted and ready to break.

Here's the link to the ACDelco Professional pitman arm: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=355413&cc=1371620

Don't get the ACDelco Advantage. It's way cheaper, but it won't fit the same.

For ride height, search for "Chevrolet Z height" if you haven't already.

Larry

OP
OP
J

juggernaut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Larry,

thank you very much for that helpful info. I really appreciate you taking the time to write all of that info and share your knowledge with me.

kebm

Reaction score
I just replaced the sway bar mount bushings on my chrysler pacifica with a polyurethane greasable set from Energy Suspension. It made a big difference over the oem rubber ones. I plan to get the kit (new mounting bushings and end links with bushings) for my Yukon as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
APalmer15