Front end noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJ Englewood

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm hearing a sort of roaring noise on the driver side front I jacked it up to see if it was play in the wheel there was none berings seem tight what could it be

20160226_210747.jpg

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give a better diagnosis.
Does it happen when you drive?
Does it happen when you turn, go in reverse?
Do you think it's suspension, tires, brakes or engine?

Hard to diagnose a 'roar' when we have no idea where it's coming from or when it's happening.

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The splines my drivers side cv slide onto stripped out on mine. It made a "roar" when I would take off hard or try to pass someone

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the hub assemblies on the trucks and suvs but referencing a 97 malibu, 04 venture, and 2 01+Monte carlos. All of those vehicles have had the same symptoms of a bad wheel bearing and little to no wheel bearing play. Sounded like they were running meaty all terrain tires. No wheel bearing play "yet" doesn't rule out a possible wheel bearing. As stated above please be more descriptive. Is it all the time does the sound fade as your driving and turn one direction or the other such and so forth.

OP
OP
D

DJ Englewood

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sound is not always there is changed the left front hub assembly but still the same thing it comes and goes sometimes it feels like a slight wobble at low speeds but not constant I wish I could be more descriptive but that about the just of it

OP
OP
D

DJ Englewood

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok I was just on the hwy And whence I went into a left hand curve I heard it whereas I didn't hear it before that

OP
OP
D

DJ Englewood

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was told it was front diff.
Is the transfer case attached to this or a whole different part

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Drive down the road (preferably a desolate one) and get it up to about 35-45 mph.

Then swerve left into the left lane and then right tinto the right lane. Repeat.

When do you hear the noise? Swerving left or right?

Noise comes before play with wheel bearings usually 85% of the time. The other 15% (these are numbers based on my experience) the play comes before the noise because of impact (sliding off the icy road into a curb, etc).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
D713M