Front and rear differential sizes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
I believe they are 8.5/8.6

Yes, and You'll have to figure out if you have 28 or 30 spline axles. You just have to pull one out, and count it. If you're currently running 3.42 gears, the 4.10's are going to wreck your highway mileage, if you care. We don't care about mileage, but still. I've got 35 inch tires, and my new 3.73 diffs are working great for me. More important than your gear ratio, is getting rid of the gov-lock in your rear diff. That's a ticking time bomb. No matter what you do to upgrade your diffs, make that priority #1. :headbang:

Bad bow tie

Grizz Straight FTMFW
Reaction score
8.25/8.5. 8.6 doesnt happen til nbs.

Yup. The front is an 8.25" ring gear and the rear is an 8.5" ring gear. The gov lock is the factory Eaton locker that GM put in. It's a piece of crap and tends to explode and wreck the whole rear end. It is facory code G80 on your RPO code list in your glove box. 4.10 are a good addition but not really necessary if you're running less than a 35" tire. The lower the gears you go with (numerically higher) the more your fuel milage will decrease.

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
What year is your hoe? If your diff is open, either your rig is old enough to not have come with one, or your rear end has been replaced once before. Drop a real posi in there, if you're going to swap the ring/pinion. Here's what a gov-lock does, when you need it the most:

picture.jpg

Bad bow tie

Grizz Straight FTMFW
Reaction score
Unfortuantly they don't offer a locker for our front IFS. For the rear I'd go with a Detroit or a Auburn. I've always heard good things about them but they expensive.

swab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the front dif is aluminum so its too weak to have any kind of lsd let alon locker up front. pair that with our front half shafts and youll get alot of wreckage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse

Latest posts