Fog retro question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
No problem..would you say these projectors have a way better output over stock?

Depends on how you define "better."

They are way more controlled, have a definite cutoff, and make running HIDs way easier on on-coming traffic's eyes. My old ones were bright, but it was just light sprayed everywhere. These are much better at having a controllable beam that you can adjust to be completely out of other's eyes.

The only way I could fairly compare the two for actual output would be to put some 4500k bulbs in them and see how they do. I imagine it would make it look much brighter than the 3000k lights.

As they are now, I can drive down the street with just the fogs, but they only throw so far, especially being that close to the ground.

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

buy another set and do this with out the outer housings.
Completely reversible mod.
think you will find, they will look identical visually from the front and without the extra glass you will get this much sharper and wider

I'm contemplating getting another set and just mounting them under the bumper in between the tow hooks. That'd give me a fair comparison. I'd run 4300k, too.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you did another killer job on the retro's, it's nice having the cutoff built into the fogs so like you said you can drive around with them on and not blind the others around you!!

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
I'm contemplating getting another set and just mounting them under the bumper in between the tow hooks. That'd give me a fair comparison. I'd run 4300k, too.
Damn I just was going to say it'd look boss if you put some in there.. Beat me to it!!

pnap88p

Reaction score
i need a purchase list with item numbers on what to buy todo this for my 2008 tahoe

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Not sure what fog light the '08 Tahoes use, but everything else is in the thread. The exact coupling you'd use might differ from a Denali because I think the fogs are different. Pretty much everything but the projector itself might be different for your truck, I'm just not sure.

Here's where I got the projectors:

P1 Universal Projector: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=370559716028

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
As requested, an update on things:

While I'm happy with the look, I'm not pleased with the overall output. There just isn't much added light in the whole equation. That said, they are 3000k. Very yellow 3000k, too, I might add. If you want a deep yellow light, get the Morimoto's. They aren't messing around. I have a feeling the coating to get that color is cutting the output lumens significantly. When I get some more cash I'll order some 4300k bulbs to match my headlights and try that combo out. I think that's going to give me much more light.

I was in the yard when my wife came home the other night, and I have to say it looks pretty darn good coming at you. The cutoff does a good job, too. I didn't get any light directly in the eyes, and I even squatted down a bit to be more at another driver's level.

All in all, I settled, and it's going to bug me. Next time I'll do it proper. There's enough room on the Denali to fit almost any projector in there, so I may go more all out. It'd be sick to get the throw of an S2000 projector in the fogs, and I may try. Right now, I'm working on a more basic project: Scraping together some Hella 500's to put on a homemade little light bar. For now, I'm just going to stick with 100w halogen bulbs and see how they work, but I may do an HID conversion on those, too, eventually....we'll see. I'm trying to design it so the light bar is kind of universal and attaches to the license plate screw holes so I can transfer it from one car to another with minimal effort. I'll wire both cars up and come up with some quick connections in the grill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia