Fog retro question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I'm thinking about retro'ing in MKZ fogs.

The problem I'm having, other than the whole "how do I make a bracket for THAT?" issue, is it's just a projector with an exposed lens. Has anyone figured out a protective lens over the projector lens? I don't want it uncovered, cause it'll get trashed up here in one winter with all the gravel they lay down.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
No takers, eh?

Guess I'm going to have to be a trend-setter and figure something out myself. I could use an OEM fog light and see if I can retro the projector into it, so the projector lens is behind the plastic lens. I am pretty sure it wouldn't fit without some heavy mods, though, and I'd have to also then get new OEM fogs cause my current lenses are scorched from 55w HID's....lol.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the only way I know of to get the mkz/fusion projector fogs is by retrofitting them into one's existing fog light housings ... but I dunno how to actually do it. :)

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Yeah, I need to do a little more research on these first. It also occurred to me that I don't know if just the projector is water-tight or if it needs to be in an enclosed housing to protect it. I may just go with the Blazers because I know those are good to go on their own.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okays ... but the research and figuring it out is half the fun. :)

Campi3ell

Reaction score
Interesting concept... MKZ you say...?? Hhhmmmmmm

They don't seem to have a lens covering the housing normally, maybe it'll be fine...?

Out of curiosity, what steered the decision towards the MKZ fogs?

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Interesting concept... MKZ you say...?? Hhhmmmmmm

They don't seem to have a lens covering the housing normally, maybe it'll be fine...?

Out of curiosity, what steered the decision towards the MKZ fogs?

This thread on HIDplanet: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?39041-FS-Brand-new-never-used-Fusion-Projector-Fogs-for-HID&highlight=fusion

I also heard that the Blazers, which I was originally going to get, don't hold up very well. That made me start looking at other things. The Ford Fusions are the same lights as the MKZ and several other cars use, so they are OEM.

---------- Post added at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

D'UH...

Instead of mounting a lens in front of a lens, I could just use clear Lamin-X on the projector lens....

That took me WAY TO F'ING LONG to think of. Geez. I'm getting old.

Boze5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Foglight Upgrade

Try the Blazers from TRS, I have them and they are stand alone in no housing. They are also waterproof, give Matt a call and he can tell you what you need to know about these foglights. Take a look at my album (Boze5 Customs), i have a couple of pictures of the fogs on there..........

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't realize those blazer fogs were so small ... interesting, it's given me an idea for a mod.

Thanks for posting that Frederick and welcome to TYF.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Yeah, they are tiny....I'd have to come up with some sort of fascia around them. I don't like them just hanging there in an otherwise empty hole. I think I'll probably end up retro'ing them into an OEM style Denali fog, whichever projector I get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts