Fog lights too bright

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got some 8000K HIDs and figured since the fogs were so low to the ground that they wouldn't blind other people. I realize the reflective housing isn't meant for HIDs, but I thought since they were so low it would be OK. Well, it isn't. I stood about 25 ft in front of the truck and and was blinded by the HIDs.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?
I was thinking either some windows tint, nite-shade coats or maybe some kind of tape over the top of the housing in kind of an angry eyebrow shape. Didn't know if any of those things would work or if someone here had any good ideas on how to dim the brightness some.

Thanks for any suggestions,

MrBalll

OP
OP
MrBalll

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are 35w.

This is also in a 2004 Tahoe with the rectangular fog housing.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmmm, I have 6ks, 35w, but only use them when on highways at night...not around town...no issues. But Im lowered too, so that may help...try to reangle them down some?

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aim them down some...GM fogs are notoriously aimed too high anyway, i notice it on alot of silverados.... just aim them lower as suggested above and u should be ok....

OP
OP
MrBalll

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, thanks guys. I assume there is a screw or a wing nut somewhere on the housing I need to adjust and that will aim it?

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i havent looked on the GMs but they should be adjustable easily via a screw...just look around for it and see where it is...

TheYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
adjusment screw is on the bottom of the housing cant miss it.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
It also might help to drop down to a more "white" color with inherently less glare than 8k will have. The bluer the light, the more glare it has, giving it a "brighter" look even if it isn't.

OP
OP
MrBalll

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm, interesting. I would have thought the higher K giving off less light wouldn't glare as bad as a lower K bulb. Thanks for that little bit of information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269

Latest posts