2017 Premier air leveling suspension pumped up too high

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndrewS4365

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The ride got very rough on the tahoe. Took it to the mechanic. Found front struts damaged and needed replaced. Then was told the rear suspension was compensating for the front suspension issues. The mechanic found the rear suspension was pumping up too high and wouldnt release. He tried releasing air and relearning the computer but it would pump back up to the same height which is very stiff. They couldnt really figure out what the issue was so they said to just replace the rear shocks and see if that works. To me it seems like the shocks are working because the rear goes up and down when you manually bleed the air. Before I took it to the mechanic I bubble soaped the bags to see if there were any leaks. There were not and the bags had some give to them when I squeezed it. Now since coming back from the mechanics the bags are hard as concrete since they are filled up so tight. I have read a lot of posts with what to do, but nobody has confirmed what worked. I have not bled the air out myself yet which I plan to do this weekend.

slupie

Reaction score
Check that all of the leveling sensors are working. Air compressor has a bleed valve that could be stuck. Front doesn't have air suspension but has leveling sensors. Belltech 1019 kit install instructions show where the rear leveling sensor are and how to adjust them for the lowering kit.

OP
OP
A

AndrewS4365

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How do I check if they are working? Disconnect the linkage and manually pull on them? Also is there a way to check if the bleed valve is stuck on the compressor?

slupie

Reaction score
How do I check if they are working? Disconnect the linkage and manually pull on them? Also is there a way to check if the bleed valve is stuck on the compressor?
Disconnect the linkage and move the arm up and down slowly. it should raise or lower the rear air suspension. If nothing happens then then the leveling senor could be bad or bleed valve on compressor is bad. Further diagnostics are needed or replace whatever is cheaper. Ride height sensor is about $60 and compressor $250+ on rock auto.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would need a bi-directional scanner. Or, key on without starting and see if you hear a click sound and hiss, followed by the compressor self check pump up.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, the shocks aren't the issue. It's either a ride height sensor, or the compressor not being able to vent.

You could vent the system, jack up the front to level, and then start it and see what it does. If it's related to the front for some reason, maybe a change in ride height would make a difference.

OP
OP
A

AndrewS4365

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I troubleshot a little bit tonight. Released the air from the bag. The back end didn’t go down much at all. Turned the truck on and it pumped up the bag but didn’t lift the back of the truck very much. Drained the bags again. Put about 220 lbs in the back. Truck went down about 1/4”. Turned on the truck and the bags pumped back up but didn’t lift the truck too much. Now I’m leaning toward the rear shocks. The bags didn’t feel as stiff. Felt normal like they should. I’ve read that when the shocks fail they almost become stuck.

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jump on the rear side step and watch the wheel gap, or have someone drive it over a speed bump or similar while you watch. You are correct, when they fail they lock up. It only takes 1 locked up shock to make the ride awful.

OP
OP
A

AndrewS4365

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update. I removed the rear shocks and drivers side was completely seized up. Replaced both with arnott passive shocks. Ride is back to being nice and smooth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia