(FIXED) Weird noise under truck after rear main replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjmcglaughlin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
05 Tahoe, 4.8, 4WD, 163k
Hey everybody, so I just finished replacing my rear main seal and all went well with that. Only issue is, I have an odd noise from under the truck, about directly under where the driver’s seat is. It sounds like an inconsistent tapping sound. It only happens while the truck is moving, but it comes and goes randomly (does not track with vehicle speed), and at higher speeds it gets quieter and sometimes stops all together. It’s not rhythmic and sounds like something is loose and just rattling around, but I can’t figure out what. Thanks for any help everyone.

OP
OP
cjmcglaughlin

cjmcglaughlin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, if it was not there before the rear main seal work, it is time to double check your work area. To do that rear main seal, you removed a few things and loosened things and tightened things.
Right, i checked the important things already (u joints, transmissions mounts, etc). Will keep looking

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660