Fixed oil leak on oil cooler line block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LRob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been a member here a while but havent posted a whole lot though I should. Truck runs fine and has been mostly trouble free since i purchased it in 2014. 2009 Tahoe 5.3 w/ max tow package.

I has had some oil consumption issues that i've done the DOD disable w/ newly designed valve cover install. Lately its been plagued with oil leaks, so i pulled the pan and did the gasket, and while I was in there I did the O-ring for the pick up tube and the AFM shield for the oil pan. I probably dont need it since i tuned out the DOD, but it was only an $8 part and I was already in there. Anyhoo the oil pan gasket did slow down the leak a little, but didnt completely fix it. I purchased some UV dye to put in the oil and found that it was leaking from the plug on the side of the oil cooler block. Please see attached pics. I modified a 3/8ths hex to fit in the small face and pulled the plug to find a hard piece of plastic acting as the O-ring. I went and purchased a small o-ring kit and a 9/16th o-ring fit. I also applied some thread tape as well, before re-installing it. The pic has a 8mm wrench, its actually supposed to be 3/8th. Slip the short hex into the plug then the wrench over the hex and torque down the plug. I wanted to share this since I didnt find much on this and figured it would be able to help someone.

Oil Cooler 2.jpeg Oil Cooler.jpeg Tools 2.jpeg Tools.jpg

drno4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New here. Active on a Toyota forum (our other vehicle), but I do the repairs on our '03 Yukon Denali XL as well. This is exactly what I've been looking for, as that plug is leaking on mine, too. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and the details. Helpful!

As a bonus: Search on this site "mystery oil leak" (thread started by username "Aeterna") -- for some reason the site would not let me share a direct link here. Post #13 on that thread mentions this same issue, but your post here includes more detail. Thanks again.

ETA: removed the plug in question today and inspected its hard plastic conical o-ring. No cracks, chips, deformities, nothing. Hmm. Not what I expected.

In this case, the o-ring sits completely inside the female thread receptacle--unlike, for example, a common oil drain plug where the edge of your crush washer is visible underneath the head of the drain plug, even after tightening. This design allows this plug to seat all the way into the threads, and bottom out, rather than stopping short a couple of millimeters as it would with a washer under the bolt head.

Because of that unique design of the o-ring, and because mine still seemed to be in good repair, I decided to clean up the area and reinstall the same plug and original o-ring...but this time, added a bead of red high temp Loctite around the circumference of the o-ring for some extra insurance. Tightened things back up guttentite (can barely get my hands up there, let alone my torque wrench).

Will continue to watch it closely and see if drips persist.

Thanks again for your post.

Last edited:

rickybo6by

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ive been a member here a while but havent posted a whole lot though I should. Truck runs fine and has been mostly trouble free since i purchased it in 2014. 2009 Tahoe 5.3 w/ max tow package.

I has had some oil consumption issues that i've done the DOD disable w/ newly designed valve cover install. Lately its been plagued with oil leaks, so i pulled the pan and did the gasket, and while I was in there I did the O-ring for the pick up tube and the AFM shield for the oil pan. I probably dont need it since i tuned out the DOD, but it was only an $8 part and I was already in there. Anyhoo the oil pan gasket did slow down the leak a little, but didnt completely fix it. I purchased some UV dye to put in the oil and found that it was leaking from the plug on the side of the oil cooler block. Please see attached pics. I modified a 3/8ths hex to fit in the small face and pulled the plug to find a hard piece of plastic acting as the O-ring. I went and purchased a small o-ring kit and a 9/16th o-ring fit. I also applied some thread tape as well, before re-installing it. The pic has a 8mm wrench, its actually supposed to be 3/8th. Slip the short hex into the plug then the wrench over the hex and torque down the plug. I wanted to share this since I didnt find much on this and figured it would be able to help someone.

View attachment 241204 View attachment 241205 View attachment 241206 View attachment 241207
thank you so much. changed my gasket today. and boom big drop right from that bolt. will be doing your fix in the morning.

09_4WD_YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got to fix this leak myself. What do yall think the temp gets down there? What oring material would be needed? I'm assuming rubber would not hold up. Also, the thread tape mentioned above, was that just regular teflon tape? Or something else?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to fix this leak myself. What do yall think the temp gets down there? What oring material would be needed? I'm assuming rubber would not hold up. Also, the thread tape mentioned above, was that just regular teflon tape? Or something else?
I would use Viton if you can find it, otherwise an automotive o-ring would be fine. Temps won’t exceed 250°F.

Reaction score
I need to do this also.

I replaced the gasket for the oil cooler lines last year but I'm still getting a small leak from that area above the filter. It's either the gasket leaking again or this plug.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most folks don't have an oil cooler. Mine had a blockoff/bypass adapter that has a gasket that is prone to leaking.

I just ordered one of these, need to get this done on mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo

Latest posts