Coolant Drain Plug on Block...2012 / 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on a side note, you should see what some newer cares require these days.. **** vacuum fill only. can't even breed the system.

the ls is pretty nice for the most part they just self bleed.

OP
OP
B

blondie70

Reaction score
I found a bolt and nut that fit that plug (5/8" head maybe?). I welded the nut to the bolt, inserted it into the plug and used a socket and ratchet to turn it.
Now Ya talking ! Right up my alley. I got plenty nuts and bolts...thank youi...ps: I am saving all this info so I can come back to it if I forget !

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I forgot about the drain plugs in my boat motor. 1 on each side of the block with petcocks. Easy winterizing a 350 if you can get your hands in there.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now Ya talking ! Right up my alley. I got plenty nuts and bolts...thank youi...ps: I am saving all this info so I can come back to it if I forget !

Ah, a tinkerer/fabricator, too, are ya?

BTW, the same can be done for the fill plug on manual transmissions if you don't have a large enough hex wrench.

Gearz

Reaction score
I use to do coolant transfers almost every day when I was working in dealerships and the best information I can give you is don’t disturb something like this that can go wrong in so many ways like the threads being rotten then taking or ruining the threads in the block. Your intensions are good but if you want a total transfer just pay for a coolant transfer or drain and refill for 3 years with no risk. Your truck is a 2012 and not worth the chance of a disaster.

OP
OP
B

blondie70

Reaction score
How does a transfer work? How do you get all of the old coolant out ?

Gearz

Reaction score
It’s basically a vacuum machine that creates a suction then uses that pressure to refill the system. BG and other companies manufacture it.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.png
    IMG_0003.png
    942.3 KB · Views: 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyC