Finished my door pods yesterday, though you guys might enjoy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iTahoe

iTahoe

Reaction score
Everyone asks, so don't sweat it. It's taken 4 years to complete this one. Wish I had the time to finish my own...but a shop would charge me $1500 to put an Ipad Pro in my dash... so I did it on my own.

OP
OP
iTahoe

iTahoe

Reaction score
Not really an update but my Hertz tweeters are in place (not straight in this photo). Fun fact, I'm not even using these. I have a three way with another set in the pillars. I built this into the pods JUST IN CASE I decided to ditch my pillars one day, plus they make the pods easier to sell one day too. Sure, to the discerning audiophile they might think I look crazy with two sets of tweeters in the front stage but only one set will actually be running.

3R9eONJ.jpg

Gatorlac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone asks, so don't sweat it. It's taken 4 years to complete this one. Wish I had the time to finish my own...but a shop would charge me $1500 to put an Ipad Pro in my dash... so I did it on my own.

No worries, I should quit being lazy anyway and just do it. It's really not that hard it's just who wants it bad enough to do it (or pay a shop ridiculous money). I was gonna have a local place hook up my two 15s, two amps, 4 components and a head unit...they wanted 1400!! I honestly couldn't even be mad tho because they were already working on 5 or 6 cars and the phone was ringing off the hook the entire time I was there. I'm seriously considering opening up my own shop, I'm thinking the best installers would be young kids just out of high school. I know when I was going there was at least a dozen guys who could do pro level work and would do anyone's install for free, I'll pay em 20 bucks an hour and keep them loyal.

I wonder what the average upfront cost is for a custom car shop. I'd like to have a tint guy, paint and body, a mechanic, probably two or three installers. My girlfriend is plenty hot enough to be receptionist, I noticed none of the places here have any female employees so I'd hire one just to set myself apart. I could invest up to 100k but it'd be nice if I could pull it off for 50....

Kind of getting off subject lol my bad, it's just been on my mind so much lately

Gatorlac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't plan on ever putting tweeters there make the hole bigger and throw in a 3.5 midrange..Just a suggestion

OP
OP
iTahoe

iTahoe

Reaction score
No worries, I should quit being lazy anyway and just do it....

Kind of getting off subject lol my bad, it's just been on my mind so much lately

I told my son I'd teach him to do these things.... he has zero interest. Next step is some furniture me thinks.

If you don't plan on ever putting tweeters there make the hole bigger and throw in a 3.5 midrange..Just a suggestion

I'll keep this simple until I sell it all. The only change might be pillar pods that aren't so big and create a lesser blind spot.

select127

Supporting Member
Reaction score
where did u get the mesh for the grill. i have custom pods as well and looking to change up the grills

OP
OP
iTahoe

iTahoe

Reaction score
I think you can buy some online from Mobile Solutions

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome work man! I have been installing car audio and alarms since the 90's. But I never did get into fabrication. I was always the wiring guru. I could wire an alarm to roll the windows up and down, and plenty of other options, but I can't do speaker boxes or fiberglass work worth a shit. Lol! The most fabrication I did was flat amp racks (basically just a board) wrapped in carpet or vinyl. And mounting video screens if you wanna call that fabrication, I never built any fiberglass pods or mounts but I've fit them into headrests and done quite a few roof mounted flip down monitors. Those are actually a ***** because you have to properly brace and support it, but be VERY careful not to drill through the roof. Plywood and construction adhesive was used in a lot if those if no factory roof braces were nearby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE